July 22, 2008 9:39 PM

Drew cartoon: Rockies signs of the Times

DREW0723.gif

Animation Update: A new Broncs Zoo animation will be online Thursday morning, July 24. It's a game so I hope you enjoy playing it.

• July 23, 2008

Coloradosportsguy writes:

The Rockies may be having a bad season but they have won 5 of 6 since the all star break and are only 7 from first in the NL West

• July 23, 2008

Penfold writes:

The "football" scores at Rockies games (as well as some other team's games of late) are getting out of hand. Whatever happened to tight, white-knuckle, hold-your-breath 2-1 or 3-2 games? These inflated scores, 18-17, 16-10, 10-1 etc, courtesy of Coors Field, take away from what baseball is supposed to be about.
    I want to watch fundamental baseball, not a home run derby. I want to see teams move runners over via sacrifice or via the hit and run/run and hit. I want to watch hitters really work the count in their favor. I want to see pitchers work hitters. I want to see managers earn their paycheck by actually managing the game. I want to watch a rivalry being built between the teams. I want to see players hustling down the first base line and run all the way to the base regardless if they're thrown out.
    I want to see these overpaid athletes play hard every second they're on the fan's timeclock. They should heed Dimaggio's call. He played hard every second because his feeling was that there might be some kid in the crowd that had never seen him play before and might never see him play again. I want to see every ball player understand that they are lucky to live in a world that allows them to get paid to play a game for a living and to make unreal salaries to do so.
    I want to see fans give these ball players the perverbial finger when and if they don't play hard and up to the standards that they should.
    I can dream.

• July 23, 2008

Penfold writes:

A few more thoughts -
    So, the Rockies win a series against the Dodgers. Good for them. But now they embark on a 10 game road swing. What happens if they go 2-8 or possibly even winless. It could happen very easily. This team is built to win at Coors Field and that's it. They cannot compete on the road. Note the records. Colorado is 31-22 at Coors, and a very ugly 14-36 on the road.
    And don't think the Pirates don't want a measure of revenge for getting swept when they were in Denver. They'll be licking their chops. Cincinatti is no slouch as they play in a very competitive division, and Florida is a team to be reckoned with. I don't see Colorado being better than 3-7 on the swing, and that might be generous.

• July 24, 2008

dude writes:

Wells performance is indicitive of one thing... the Rockies need to spend money on pitching. We all know this, all of us have said it, all of the commentators have said it. The days of the Blake Street Bombers was fun, but even then the Rockies were not making the playoffs, they were just killing the ball at home.

The Monforts need to spend a little money and build a bull pen that can compete in every game not just the two where Cook and Jaminez start.

Don't get me wrong, Wells had a REALLY bad day and it happens to us all. He should be afforded the chance to try again but it does not change the Rockies historically underfunded pitching staff.

• July 24, 2008

Allen writes:

"Historically underfunded"? Are you kidding? This team started getting good after we stopped *overspending* on pitching and focusing on player development. Does Mike Hampton ring a bell? Denny Neagle? Darryl Kile? Let's keep this team together, get Francis and Hirsh healthy, get Morales seasoned a little bit and we'll be fine. Everyone is too quick to be alarmed.

• July 24, 2008

Rob writes:

Francis is overrated. I don't buy this "dead arm" crap. He's been sent down to the minors because he's awful. Just like Jason Jennings, the Rockies overvalued Francis.
    The Rockies had a chance to get Haren or Sabathia and they passed. They overvalue their prospects and therefore they suffer.
    It's over 100 games into the season. I think it's far past time for the Rockies to be alarmed. The season is over already. All that's left is the math equation.