July 26, 2008 5:05 AM

Drew cartoon: The Life Saver

DREW0726.gif

It's here at last. Football season is upon us, just in time to save all of us from the summer doldrums.

I'll be in San Diego as you read this soaking up Comic-Con, the greatest comic/cartooning/film convention on the planet. I've never been. It's been a life's dream. I'll plan to blog about it next week when I return, hopefully with pictures and stuff. Until then, enjoy your weekend.

• July 26, 2008

good ol' george writes:

There's also the Olympics. Anything's better than baseball right now.

• July 26, 2008

Dave writes:

Football season? Oh, right. The 4-12 season that is looming for the Broncos. That football season.

• July 26, 2008

Andy writes:

Let's see. The Broncos have number one running back. They have a mediocre quarterback who's a diabetic patient. They have no decent receivers at all. (Brandon Marshall could be suspended for anywhere from 4 games to the entire season.) They still have no pass rush, and their secondary is ancient by football standards.

What a great plan. I'm betting that this is Shanahan's last season in Denver.

I'm not excited at all.

• July 26, 2008

Andy writes:

My previous post should have read "The Broncos have NO number one running back."

• July 26, 2008

Michael Swanson writes:

I can't say I'm thrilled about the upcoming Broncos season either. There are too many questions and not enough answers for Denver. Sure, it's football, but the AFC is as tough as it's ever been, and even sneaking a wildcard spot is difficult. The Pats, Colts, & Chargers are the cream of the crop. I think we're somewhere among the bottom of the pack. I think this is going to be an ugly season.

• July 26, 2008

Travis writes:

Saw this report:

Cutler being monitored

Quarterback Jay Cutler opened camp wearing a new blood sugar monitor strapped to his upper left arm. The monitor feeds a signal to head athletic trainer Steve Antonopulos every minute.

"He (Antonopulos) just walks by me and tells me where I'm at," Cutler said.

Cutler, diagnosed with Type I diabetes in the offseason, is not wearing an insulin pump during practice.

"When it gets really hot out it gets a little sticky and I don't like messing with it," Cutler said.
    -------------------------------

Good God Jay. Do you want to die? What a stupid person. "It's too hot out, and it gets sticky?" What a lame excuse for not wearing your medication. This idiot needs to realize that his life is in danger pretty much all the time because of this disease. He shouldn't even be playing football. He should take his millions and retire from the NFL, find a decent job and live a happy, healthy life.
    I wonder what Jay's family and the Broncos will say if he dies on the practice field or in a game because the medication wasn't available the way it should have been.

Stupid.

• July 27, 2008

Chizzie writes:

George you said anything is better than baseball. What a joke that is. The Rockies are, the defending, NL Champs. They have the best record ( 9-1) since the allstar break. They are only 5 1/2 games out of 1st place. So, your not a baseball fan, but, dont say anything is better than baseball. BTW- Broncos will be lucky to go 7-9.

• July 27, 2008

Ed writes:

Chizzie, the only reason the Rockies are 5.5 games out is because Arizona hasn't finished playing today. Currently, the D-Backs lead the Giants 4-0 in their game. So, it's likely still going to be a 6-game lead for Arizona. The Rockies are the defending NL Chumps, not Champs. Champs actually come back and play good baseball the next season. Champs aren't 10 games under .500 after playing 106 of a 162 game season. All you bandwagon "fans" seem to forget that in order for the Rockies to win the NL West, they not only have to catch Arizona, but also need to catch L.A. , as well as hold off San Francisco who are, as I post 3.5 games back (4 if they lose to Arizona today). So, it's not rosy. The Rockies dug themselves far too deep of a hole. Sweeping the Reds isn't something to be excited about. They're pretty awful. And think of this: The Rockies play the Pirates (yes, those awful Pirates that the Rockies swept at Coors)nextr, right? Even with a 5-game winning streak against bad teams, the Rockies still have a worse record than Pittsburgh. That's really sad.
    The Rockies have used up all their RBI's early on in this road swing and will have nothing left for the remainder of the trip. Why? Because Hurdle doesn't have a clue.
    10 games south of .500 equals a really crappy baseball team no matter how one looks at it. The Rockies are simply benefiting from a weak division. Pick any other divison in baseball, and the team would be 15-20 games back.

• July 27, 2008

Derek writes:

I'm not seeing a whole lot from hometown hero now that the Rockies just swept the Reds on the road. Maybe he is finally shutting his mouth

• July 28, 2008

Anonymous writes:

The Rockies, Nuggets, Avs and Broncos suck.

Bring on Hockey season.

Go Wings!!! Your 2008 Stanley Cup Champions!!

• July 28, 2008

Michael writes:

Travis - you apparently know very little about diabetes. He is not going to die on the field and his comment ("When it gets really hot out it gets a little sticky and I don't like messing with it") was about the medication and the fact that insulin needs to be kept cool.
    Many diabetics live perfectly healthy lives without wearing an insulin pump – while the pump is wonderful for regulating blood sugar, there are other ways of doing this. Being that football is a contact sport, the wisdom of wearing an insulin pump on the field is questionable. If his blood sugar is monitored closely there is absolutely NO reason why he should not play football. Just because you would go lie on the couch and feel sorry for yourself does not mean that he should. I applaud his tenacity and I think he is a wonderful role model for diabetic kids all over the world.

• July 28, 2008

WorkingClassHero writes:

Oh, Hi Derek.

I had actually considered giving you all a break for a while. But since you seem to miss me so much, I'll get back on the horse and treat you all to some really good times real soon. Just a little later on today. I'm just a little busy right now. But wait for it. Just for you, I'll drop some commentary here. Thanks so much for your interest.

• July 28, 2008

Bruce writes:

Oh, Good move Derek.

WCH wasn't posting, and you couldn't leave it alone. You just had to poke the troll.

Brilliant.

• July 29, 2008

dude writes:

We await commentary from WCH, all of us with baited breath.

Drew, good toon. I am a football fan over all else myself and I am really looking forward to this season.

I think the best thing for the Broncos, and I am sure most of you will disagree, is to have Marshall suspended for 4 games or more. I do agree that Marshall is a talented reciever but his antics in the off season require punishment and of the Broncos can't do it then the NFL should. It will be good for him to lose some money because he doesn't concider the consequences of his actions.

With Marshall side lined for a while the Broncos can try and focus on the other things that they need to work on. No team can be built around one player, nor should it. The Broncos had over 1500 yards rushing in 2007 and almost 4000 yards passing. This kind of ratio means that the Broncos become perdictable on offence and it makes it easy to defend them (note thier record of 7 and 9). Jay did a great job last year with a passer rating of 88.1 but imagine how much better that could be with solid short routes and a decent running game to open up the field.

The defence is the major problem. The D-line MUST sack the QB! Last year the Broncos allowed 25.6 points per game (they only scored 20 points per game). This is really hard to over come. The only way to stop this many points is to put pressure on the QB.

I hope that Shannahan can get this team fired up to play, and their jobs, this season. If not then it is time for him to move on. This is where the loss of a true leader like Rod Smith is going to make a huge difference.

• July 29, 2008

Derek writes:

Sorry.

• July 29, 2008

WorkingClassHero writes:

Ahem....

(Applause from my biggest fans.)

Thank you.

Shall I touch on the Rockies? Well. Yes. They have now lost twice to Pittsburgh after holding early leads. The Rockies are now 12 games under .500. The relief pitching is awful.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
    YEAAHHHHHAAAAAHAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
    AHH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!

Ahem.

Yeah. And now they get to keep relying on Aaron Cook to stop the bleeding. How many times have we seen this? What? No one else can stop a losing streak on this crappy team?

Why aren't the Rockies trading Matt Holliday? I mean, his value will never be higher since he hasn't yet been caught for steroid abuse, which is also quite amazing. It's downright obvious that the guy is juicing.

So, all of you bandwagon Rockies people can just jump back off the wagon that you got on last week. Don't you people ever learn?

Thanks for your undivided attention. And thanks to Derek & Dude for inviting me back. I thought you didn't care, but I see I was misled.

• July 30, 2008

James writes:

I was watching the Rox game last night, and I couldn't believe the bonehead play that Tulowitzki made on the base path. Inexcusable. It's more and more obvious that Tulo was a one year wonder and he's not the answer for Colorado. Barmes needs to be the starting shortstop and Tulo needs to be demoted and/or traded away. Tulo is just horrible. Where are all the people who were screaming to the heavens last year about Tulo getting screwed on the Rookie Of the Year voting? Braun clearly was the deserving player. Tulo is finished. He's quite beyond worthless at this point. Maybe the Rockies could score some batting practice balls for him in a swap, but probably not much more.

FIRE HURDLE!!!!!