August 2, 2008 12:24 AM

Drew cartoon: A Broncos Salary dump

DREW0802.gif

The way that the Broncos treats their veteran players is appalling to me. There is a long list of Broncos who have deserved a better horse to ride off into the sunset on who instead get a swift kick in the butt out the door with barely a note of gratitude. My thoughts are that by now these "dismissals from principal Shanahan's office are getter old and the players are growing tired of being a member of the meat of the month club. It's the little things that matter to players in a locker room and the way a franchise treats its veterans is a big part of that equation. Shanahan was once a players coach. That simply is no longer true and hasn't been since the Mastermind thought HE was the won who one the two Super Bowls. Not Elway. Not Terrell Davis. Not Steve Atwater.

Shanahan had better start to pay attention to the atmosphere in his own locker room or else it is his butt that will soon be exiting the building.

If you haven't seen this moving stop reading now, turn off your computer and RUN to the next movie theater. The Dark Knight will go down in history as one the most amazing, spellbinding films ever made. It would've scared the weasels out of Alfred Hitchcock. See it. And See it again. It is, in a word, spectacular.

The_Dark_Knight_poster.jpg

• August 2, 2008

bronco ken writes:

Drew, you are way off on this one. We all love John Lynch but the fact is he was told he would have a reduced role.. You cannot have it both ways... million dollar salaries and total loyalty.. the harsh fact of the matter is it is a business and should be treated as such... Shanahan is doing all he can and I believe is very forthright and honest especialy with his veteran players.. how else would you handle a very tough no win situation?

• August 2, 2008

Penfold writes:

I think one of the main issues with Shanahan is that he's always been wishy-washy. I mean, on The Sports Guys show, he clearly stated that "the Broncos were not going to miss the playoffs."
    Then he's asked by the Sports Guys if that was a guarantee.
    His response was: "Sure sounds like it, doesn't it?"
    Well Mike....that's not really a clear confirmation. To confirm a statement, you say "Yes" or you say "No". You didn't say either. You answered a question with a question, which is the same as dodging it entirely.
    Then, later at the press conference he comes up with "I didn't guarantee anything."
    What? That's about as wishy-washy as anything gets. Mike, either talk straight or don't say anything. By making comments like you did, you just make yourself look foolish.

• August 2, 2008

Paul writes:

I'm absolutely sick of Mike Shanahan. This is a guy who has never won anything without doing something against the rules. The Salary Cap deal back in the "superbowl years" was blatant. The NFL should have stripped the team of the titles. Then we have him backing Travis Henry during the drug thing last year. Now Lynch.
    It's incredibly obvious that he can't do anything without looking like an idiot. This team needs new blood at the head coaching position. When a coach feels he nees to freeze place kickers game in and game out just to squeak out victories like so many times last year, then something is really wrong. When was the last time that the Broncos won convincingly against a superior opponent?

• August 2, 2008

Ben writes:

You forgot the giant file of excuses.

• August 2, 2008

Ted writes:

When was the last time the Broncos played, nevermind won, a game of any importance? The team that was so celebrated in the late 90's has become an afterthought. All that makes the news when it comes to the Broncos are players getting arrested for drugs, traffic violations, and now for management disrespecting it's players.

As has been stated by many around here lately, it's way past time for a new coaching staff.

Also, why is it taking so long for Marshall to get suspended? Even if he gets 4 games, it won't be enough. Of course, he'll probably get off lightly. Almost all athletes do these days. Guess I'll just tell my 10-year old son that as long as he makes it to the NFL, then he can pretty much do anything he wants as long as he has on-the-field "talent." It's just sickening.

• August 3, 2008

Ken writes:

I was also listening to the Sports Guys show and was left wondering if Shanahan had lost his mind.

Semi-guaranteeing that his team wouldn't miss the playoffs, and then back-peddling at the official press conference. If I'm a Broncos player, thet doesn't give me confidence. That just shows me that my head coach is scared to back up his statements. Not the kind of coach I'd be gung-ho to play for.

• August 3, 2008

Cynic writes:

I'm sure that the Dark Knight is a wonderful film.

I'm also sure that I'll wait until it comes out on DVD to see it. I'm not interested in paying 10 bucks to see a film that I can borrow from my next door neighbor for free in 3 months.

Movie ticket prices have gotten stupid just like everything else. No one can afford to eat out anymore, we can't go to concerts, movies, plays. We can hardly afford new school clothes for our kids.

All thanks to Mr. Bush and his cronies. God help any of you if you vote for McCain this november. If you think things are bad now, try thinking about them being 100 times worse within a year or two.

• August 3, 2008

Michael writes:

This was the right decision and the wrong decision at the same time. Yes, we should keep quality character players on the roster - but we have an aging safety who has lost a few steps over the years. Yes, he's one of the smartest safeties to play the game - but safeties need to be fast and effective.

Last year he was neither.

One of the main Bronco defense vulnerabilities was the lack of support on deep routes. Double coverage for the deep routes can help thwart the 82 yard bombs like the one we witnessed last year from Brett Favre to Greg Jennings (who involved Dre Bly on the play too.)

So as much as it pains me to get rid of a stand-up guy, he was the one that determined that he could no longer play in a scaled down role on the team. Shanahan would've loved to have kept him - but why should loyalty give way to giving the position to the one who WINS the position?

Don't get stuck on the whole loyalty issue. We need to win games - and a safety position is one of the most vital on defense.

Just my two cents.

BroncoBen writes:

Drew, I am a big fan of yours and will continue be. But you are way off on your thinking of the Lynch situation. It was Lynch who asked to be released from the team the Broncos (Shanahan) didn’t cut him. Maybe your illustration should have been more in line of Lynch packing his bags and his pro-bowl jerseys and heading out the back door with his contract thrown in the trash.

To Cynic writes:

Yeah, Bush is responsible for theaters ripping people off. Get off it already. Stop blaming EVERYTHING on him. Oh yeah, VOTE MCCAIN IN 08!

As for Lynch. What do you expect? The dude just can't keep up anymore. He was a liability.

Andy writes:

I don't get all this "Shanny kicked Lynch to the curb" nonsense. I like John Lynch, but the fact of the matter is that he didn't want a limited role. Well, he's not exactly a young man anymore who can cover receivers in nickel and dime packages. It's sad to see a player get old, but it's even more sad to see people whining about the coach kicking them off the team, when it was the PLAYER who quit.

Drew - I used to really like your cartoons and your sarcasm, but lately I feel you've gotten either bitter or more grumpy or something. They are not as funny. They are not near as relevant... why wouldn't you have something about the HOF?!?!

Anonymous writes:

The reason Lynch wanted out was because he saw the writing on the wall.

The writing told him that the Broncos wouldn't be anywhere near a contender for at least another decade, if not a lot longer.

The writing told him that Mike Shanahan had foolishly guaranteed the playoffs, which is the kiss of death.

The writing told him that he would have to continue being coached by Mike Shanahan.

The last one would be enough for most players to want out, but the fact is, John wants to win. He wasn't going to win in Denver.

Go Chargers!!!

Drew writes:

Andy,

Thanks for the feedback. I just got back from Wyoming where I visited one of my best friends for a few days. I did the Lynch cartoon Thursday morning and filed it early Friday from Casper. So the HOF wasn't really a story by then. I strive to stay on top of the breaking news. In fact, Thursday was a vacation day for me but I considered Lynch a big story so I drew anyway . As far as being bitter, that isn't even close to the way I feel right now. I'm excited about the flash animations I'm doing and about the sports I cover daily. We are at a strange place in Colorado sports. All the teams are struggling to find their ways, so the cartoons reflect that. I will tell you I'm working harder now than at any other point of my 26 year career and I do feel that sometimes. Just being tired some, you know. But I love what I do and I'll push ahead to be as funny as I can everyday ( when it warrants, mind you). Because I value all of you as readers I simply want to give you the best cartoons possible. I mean, after all, you take the time to stop by, I gotta make it worth your time. Thanks for reading.

Anonymous writes:

Oh yeah. McCain.
    The old, out-of-touch, crotchety fool who wants to continue fighting a war in a country where the U.S. is not welcome. For a guy who spent years as a POW, I'm frankly amazed that he would put others in danger of having to go through what he did. Of course, he returned, divorced his wife after she was disfigured, re-married a new young hottie, and now wants to be president so he can keep his oil buddies happy.
    What a great resume.

Carl writes:

Now that the news is out that Marshall is to be suspended at least 3 games (with the chance for it to be lessened to 2 with counseling), I'll be interested to see if Pat Bowlen can stand up and be a man and tack on a few games of his own to what the NFL hands down.
    It would be the correct move for an owner to take an extra loss or two in a season where his team isn't expected to do much, and lay down the hammer on his team to prove that the kind of behavior that a lot of Broncos players have been exhibiting lately is not acceptable.
    I think it might drill the point home a lost more effectively if the team owner handed out the major punishment rather than the league office.
    If I were Bowlen, I'd sit Marshall at least half the season in hopes that he'd get his act together and be a productive player for the next decade.
    But of course, Bowlen won't do this. And i'm left to wonder why.

ben writes:

i agree.
    the broncos owner should suspend marshall for the rest of the year. maybe if he sits for a year then he will get the message that he's not above the team or the law.

Mick writes:

Yep. Sure am glad to see that the economy is fine.

Dark Knight has raked in $394 Million.

Let's not worry about the people in this country who are having their homes taken away by the banks, or children who are going hungry. Let's not worry about stuff like that.

LET'S GO SEE THE DARK KNIGHT!!!!!!

WOO-HOO!

Um, yeah kids, well...we can either buy you school supplies so you'll get an education, or....ah, the hell with it. Get in the car kids....We're going to go see BATMAN!!!!!!!

(I hope everyone noted the dripping sarcasm.)

Anonymous writes:

....and I am a complete idiot. Being a Charger Fan proves that. My club is only a "wannabe" club that will never see the Lombardi Trophy take a tour through downtown San Diego after a SB championship. I wish it would happen but they will never be able to beat the likes of Indianapolis and New England.

Ohhhh welll, I'l just let some frustration out by being a complete idiot and blogging on a Denver paper.

Go Chargers........make the playoffs!!!!

Anonymous writes:

....and I am a complete idiot. Being a Charger Fan proves that. My club is only a "wannabe" club that will never see the Lombardi Trophy take a tour through downtown San Diego after a SB championship. I wish it would happen but we will never be able to beat the likes of Indianapolis and New England.

Go Chargers........make the playoffs!!!!

Anonymous writes:

Go Chargers........make the playoffs!!!!

Glen writes:

Well, your response to the post that bothered you apparently bothered you enough to hit the SUBMIT button three times.

Who's the idiot now? Go back to downing the rest of your case of Keystone Light.

On the topic of the toon above, I'm not, nor will I ever be a fan of Mike Shanahan. If he ever decides to start actually coaching his teams again, I might be more forgiving. All he's been for 10 years is a micro-(general) manager.

Look where that's gotten the Broncos.