October 20, 2008 11:11 PM

Broncos Defense: Nothing to Sneeze At

DREW1021.gif

Tissues Anyone?
That would be, of course, for the cryin'. Holy Hitchcock. Where does one begin? Watching the Broncos defense is a bit like seeing some guy about to jump off the ledge of a 20 story building. You want to look to see how it all turns out but, then again, you really don't want to see the guy actually splatter on the pavement. Such is the quandary of the Broncos fans at the moment. It's going to be a long two weeks.

There's always the Series
At least we won't have to follow this disaster of a defense with the Rockies being exposed as a fluke during the World Series. That said, do we really want to watch the Rays? I mean they sound like some badly named villain from a Marvel comic. You know, Spider-man vs. The Rays. Truth be told, that sounds much more watchable.

Maynard writes:

This game was a total disgrace! Unfortunatly it showed the true talent of the team. There is none! They should realistically be 2 and 5 (at best). I told a friend that I work with that you only get a certain amount of luck in one season, and the Broncos used up the whole season worth in the first 3 games. Now when it comes down to to having to rely on actual talent, it's just not there. The fact that they are still in first place is a slap in the face and only shows how pathetic the division is. Go Avalanche!!

TulsaBroncoFan writes:

Humiliating! Clumsy! Disgraceful!!
    Can anyone tell me if those were the Denver Broncos or the Keystone Cops....I just couldn't see the difference....

Bill From Wichita writes:

Yep... no defense, turnovers and an instant end to the future of this team again this year.

Throughout recent history this team has proven that they are not a 2nd half team. Since there has been no improvement, but only decline in the performance of this team, I can only conclude that a repeat of last season is upon them, and us as fans.

As a Broncos fan I'm crushed. This is the type of thing the the KC Chiefs do to their fans year in and year out (ecxept this year), ... play great for the first few games, then tank the season.

A footnote: I can't rememebr who wrote the article when we hired this defensive coordinator but this guy has a losing track record except for one year of his tenure with the Packers, I believe. It has followed him to the Broncos... but at this point I can't tell which is worse... the coaching schemes or the players themselves, missed tackles, fumbles and so on.

Oh, and Drew.... Please redraw that cartoon of Pacman Jones shooting himself in the foot and color it as the Broncos offense and then add it to the picture above. I think that would pretty much say it all!

dude writes:

Wow, that has to be the most fun I have had with out getting fired or begging for an "D" so i can graduate.

I guess I should count myself lucky that I have young kids and a parent teacher conference last night. I only got to see the end of this game, the box scores and the lowlights on ESPN after the game.

I know that the defense has issues (hell the whole world knows that) but what happened to the offense from the first three games? One touchdown!!! The broncos just played two of the better defensive unit in the NFL and scored more points.

I want to blame the defense for giving up 41 points but I think the blame is on the whole team, including the dismal performance of the offnse for this fiasco. I read an article yesterday that sums up the AFC West... The Chargers start slow but get better every game and the Broncos start strong (or REALLY lucky) and then get worse. This is the same thing that has happened for the past three years. Is it time for a change? You better believe it! Something has to change and it better happen soon.

By the way did anyone see Cutler and that big old grin (yes a big old grin), joking around on the sideline after the final punt of the game?!? Get pissed that you played like a flaming pile of dog poo... A passer rating of 64.3 from a guy that was in the high 90's prior to the game? GROW UP! Do your job!!!

Andy writes:

Blowouts happen. They don't have any lasting effect.

Anonymous writes:

The Broncos game last night was the most fun I've had this year watching television. I just wish that Cutler had actually broken his hand. Then the Broncos would actually have been forced to sign a real quarterback. Then this team might have a shot at doing something this year.
    Cutler is done. He's going to be run out of town. He sucks. Does everyone finally see that?

By the way....Phillies in 5.

John writes:

Pat Bowlen for the love of GOD...PLEASE replace Shanahann with Bill Cowher. This team is gone. The players are not listening to the Mastermind any longer, and it is time for him to move aside and do General Manager stuff or coach somewhere fresh. He isnt winning games he shouldnt any longer. He is getting blown out of games and losing games he shouldnt (KC, JAX). I am so tired of the defense making All Pros out of nobody RBs and QBs.

Matt writes:

Last night's game just solidified any doubt a true Broncos fan had regarding this defense. This defense has some talented players but the others are only average and lack the fundamentals to cover that fact up. Many of the league's best defenses have the same makeup as the Broncos with one difference. That difference is that they have a vocal leader of the defense who is not afraid to lead by example and call those players out that are underperforming. The Broncos don't have that and the coaches on defense don't seem to have the will to call them out either. I am not a fan of just getting rid of a coordinator but if the players are not policing themselves, the coach must do it! Last night was the best show of ineptitude I have seen this year by a defense. We all saw the game so I will cut to the chase. A few things the Broncos must do this week to have even a top 20 defense by year's end. 1. Sign John Lynch back for the remainder of this year. He may have lost a step but the guy knows the game and WILL TACKLE! He would immediately improve the run defense. 2. Take out Dumervil and Engleberger on 1st and 2nd downs. They cannot stop the run and are to small to hold off a tackle or guard who is run blocking. Start using Crowder more on those downs and Ekuban on those downs. 3. Put Champ Bailey on the other team's best receiver and have him shadow that player ALL GAME. 4. Utilize creative Blitz packages the remainder of the year. Will they get beat from time to time? Yes. But at least they won't spend 10 minutes on 1 drive allowing 5 yard runs and completions all the way up the field. Denver's offense is the strong link so let's get them on the field as much as possible. The Broncos have speed at linebacker and are deep, blitz them like Pittsburgh does all game and you probably will see a defense that can create turnovers, makes big plays, and plays with energy and enthusiasm. 6. Switch to man defense and let players be accountable.

Matt writes:

WorkingClassHero writes:

I think I'll take a little credit right about now.

I've been spending the last 20 minutes reading the comment here and on the Broncos Official website message boards.

HAAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!
    HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!
    AHH-HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome. Very, very awesome! People are jumping ship so fast, their heads are spinning. This is fun stuff for me folks. Fun, fun, fun. I am having a ball!!!!
    All I can wonder is why it took all the so-called diehard Bronco fans so long to realize that their team absolutely sucked. I mean, they really, really suck. They suck far worse than even Kansas City, since, of course, the Chiefs BEAT the Broncos, eh?

Yep. The good old Donkeys. Just a sad, sad excuse for an NFL football team.

I LOVE how people are calling for Shanahan's head and saying how Cutler sucks. Hmmmm....sounds just like what someone I know has been saying for a long, lonng time. Now who was that? Oh yes.....

...it was ME!!!!!

Thank you and so long for now....

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

joe writes:

The problem is they can't settle on a defensive scheme, the D Cordinator just needs to take all the players into a meeting, grab a chalk board, and tell them 1 and only 1 system to use, right now the scheme could be described as feness/ smashmouth with a 3 - 4, 4 - 3 (or the much simpler, we don't have a scheme). They need to use 4 linebackers and 3 linesmen (2 ends, 1 tackle) on most plays, this will allow their linebackers to play their game, if they still can't stop the run then blitz with the strong safety. They need to use their linebackers to force the opposing team to throw, as Champ Bailey and the other CB's can do their job (they have let up an average of 140 yards rushing a games, and about 200 passing, get them to run less and they get less plays)

TulsaBroncoFan writes:

To: WorkingClassHero....Just one thing I have to say....
    The true Bronco Fans have NOT jumped ship...
    Denver has not given us the best year, however...
    There are still many many True Blue and Orange fans and I am one of them...
    I have seen several REALLY BAD games over the years, but the Broncos are THE team I support and love to watch..
    no matter how Good or Bad..Disappointing or Humiliating or Clumsy they have been...
    I, like many others am proud to be a Denver Bronco Fan! =)

Justin Case writes:

Like him or not -

WorkingClassHero was dead on in his assessment of Mike Shanahan, Jay Cutler, and the Broncos in general.

Jay Cutler is finished as the long term project of finding a quarterback to lead the Denver Broncos. He's done. He has proven to be a flash in the pan. He's got talent, but he's completely useless when it comes to on the field smarts. He can sling the ball, but he makes horrible decisions on where to sling it.

This is not just a bad stretch of games here folks. The Broncos are really a 2-5 team when you really break it down. The only reason they are not 2-5 on the scoresheet is because of a missed field goal by Tampa and a botched call in the Chargers game.

Let's face facts, this team is a total mess from top to bottom. It needs to be completely and totally dismantled. How's that Portis for Bailey trade looking now? Portis is leading the league in rushing, and Bailey has one gift interception on another bad call and is now out for a month or maybe the season if it's a groin tear.

WCH - I'll be one to stand up and say you were dead on. Good work.

• October 22, 2008

Anonymous writes:

As a longtime Broncos fan, I actually hope they lose every remaining game, just so they can draft in the top 5 and get a true safety or a bruising pass rusher. This is just embarrassing.

• October 23, 2008

SE7EN writes:

Turnovers killed us again. I believe had we not turned the ball over in our first 3 possessions, the game would have been different.

To that "anonymous" jerk who said he wishes Cutler had actually broken his hand....nice. That's real classy. Disliking the broncos and wanting them to lose is one thing, but wishing injury on any player shows no class at all and shows your true character...rather, the lack of character.

• October 23, 2008

Curt writes:

I believe the comment about "wishing Cutler had broken his hand" was sarcasm. I read it as the poster would rather have a "real quarterback" leading the Broncos rather than Cutler.

Can't say I disagree with the idea that someone else should be under center, because Cutler has had his shot. He's not winning, and he's holding this team back.

• October 23, 2008

SE7EN writes:

To say Cutler sucks is a bit much. Cutler has great upside. He possesses the physical ability and he's not stupid. The kid can play. Just because he's not leading this team to a 7-0 start in barely his third season, you're going to write him off?

He will learn to eliminate mistakes as he matures and develops. It really isn't Cutler's fault that the Defense is a sieve against the run. Not his fault that the Defense allows opponents to complete 72% of their passes. Not his fault that the Patriots go for it on 4th & 1, the Defense knows they're going to run it and instead of stuffing the line, they allow a 30+ yard run.

Cutler is going to be a good QB...write him off now if you want, but I believe in the guy.

• October 23, 2008

Kevin writes:

Cutler will be a good BACKUP quarterback. He will never be a good starting quarterback.

As the poster says above, Cutler is finished as far as being the long term answer. The last game proved it.

All I needed to see was Cutler joking around on the sidelines after getting whipped 41-7. That is not leadership. He's done.

• October 24, 2008

J-bird writes:

Kevin, you and the poster above are so wrong. Cutler has what it takes. You are the same people who bagged on Elway when he couldn't get it done either. The kid has a couple of bad games and suddenly "He's done". Yeah, that's realistic.

I guess Peyton Manning is washed up too, right? I mean they are 3-3..Manning is done, right? He's just not getting it done this year. Wow, he should retire according to Kevin's logic.

I love how all of the NFL experts say that Cutler is a young rising star in the league, but people like Kevin and Curt believe that Cutler is done because he's had a couple of bad games. I haven't heard one expert out there saying that Cutler should be benched or replaced. Yet Curt and Kevin seem to think so, so I guess we're all wrong..Cutler just doesn't have the skills. Forget what all of the professional analysts say. Curt and Kevin really have Cutler figured out. Why aren't you guys getting paid?

• October 24, 2008

Smiling Assassin writes:

My question is...who is Shanahan going to blame and fire after this season? Hopefully himself. This team lacks discipline and toughness. Simple as that. Bring Cowher in here. That powderpuff mentality will change around real quick!

I've stood up for Shanahan for 8 years, but I'm done now. He's lost control. Shanahan, Thanks building a team around Elway and helping him get 2 rings. We do appreciate that, but it is time to move on.

As for the Cutler debate. I remember Elway making a ton of risky, bad throws when he was young, but as he got older, he became more patient and smarter. Cutler will get there. He's barely into his third year. Give him a break. The talent is there, I just wish Kubiak were here to help him develop.

• October 24, 2008

Markus writes:

It is because Kubiak is not here that Cutler will fail to develop. He will no longer be the starting quarterback for the Denver Broncos when Shanahan is no longer the head coach. He was Shanahan's hand picked QB and it has not worked. The new coach, whenever and whomever he may be, will pick his own QB and it will not be Jay. That's life in the NFL.

• October 25, 2008

METALMAN5050 writes:

U R 2 funny man!

• October 27, 2008

CutlerSaves writes:

*sigh*

Gotta love people that are ready to throw Cutler under the bus. I guess everyone forgets that their almighty God, John "Donkeyface" Elway wasn't exactly the most patient QB in his first 3-5 years. I mean, John didn't have the talent like Jay does, but I digress.

People mad at Jay for having fun on the sidelines? Are these the same people that PREACH about how a STAR QB should have a short term memory? What would you have him do? What would make a difference? Maybe he should have went and punched Andre Hall in the face for fumbling twice...or maybe Calvin Lowry in the kidney for missing all of those tackles?

Maybe he should go throw a big 'ol fit...thats LEADERSHIP.