October 5, 2008 9:05 PM

Broncos: There is a defense

DREW1006.gif

Better late than never
Yes, Denver, there is a defense. Finally we find out the Broncos defense does have a pulse. There for awhile we just thought of them as MIA. Now we find they can stop Brian Griese. It's not Brett Favre but it's a start. The thing about is, will both the offense and the defense ever show up on the same day? It would make the watching the game so much more interesting.

Still time to name the defense
There's still time to enter the name the defense contest. The winner gets the original to Saturdays cartoon. So, don't just sit there like the Broncos defense did for four games. Start coming up with some names. And, remember, keep 'em clean. Or I'll sic Brian Griese's dog on ya.

• October 5, 2008

Charlie writes:

Blue Steel (Mer-man Dad, i was a Mer-man!!)

Blue's Brothers (The Champ and Boss Bailey Brigade)

Cripple Creek Defense

Great game Denver!! As a Bronco fan living in San Diego it sure makes my Monday better!

• October 5, 2008

SE7EN writes:

The Defense did show up today, but they aren't out of the woods yet. We have to remember that this is Brian Griese/Jeff Garcia. Not the worst QBs in the world, but even on half of Denver's sacks, the QB still had plenty of time to release the ball/throw it away. Some of those sacks weren't really pressures IMO, but rather a lack of decision making and athleticism on the part of the Griese. Still, it was nice to see them show a little more pride and confidence this week.

Not trying to be negative, but I want to see them carry this over to next week. Garrard won't go down that easy and the Jags have a pretty good run attack. Good work this week. Hopefully they'll keep it up.

Prater has been very impressive by the way. Also good to see Cutler be more patient this week and avoid costly turn-overs.

• October 6, 2008

Kap writes:

Love the bunny slippers!

• October 6, 2008

Anonymous writes:

The "defense" (and I use that term very lightly) had everything to do with who the Broncos were playing, and had absolutely nothing to do with the Broncos themselves. Tampa never throws downfield, and they were missing their only real receiving threat in Galloway anyway. All Tamps does is run here and there. They play for 10-6 victories, plain and simple.
    The Broncos defense has not gotten better as evidenced by Garcia pounding it down their throats at the end of the 4th quarter. If Garcia had started and played the whole game, Tampa wins going away.
    Cutler continues to complain and moan and throw his baby tantrums. Will this bum ever grow up? He embarrasses the Broncos by acting like a 12 year old who has had her cell phone taken away.
    This is the same defense as was seen in games 1-4. Don't fool yourselves.

• October 6, 2008

Anonymous writes:

.......and I have never played a down of football in my life. Yes, it is somewhat ignorant of me to come on these boards every week and act like I know something about football.

• October 6, 2008

Zman writes:

Defensive Nicknames:

Porous Posse
    Jeckyl & Hyde Defense
    Champ's Children
    Bailey's Boogeymen
    The Bronco Horde
    Orange Swarm

• October 6, 2008

Anonymous writes:

I played 4 years of college football at Maryland. Class of '88. Wideout and occasional kick returner. Who's the ignorant one? You don't know jack about me or anything. Stick it.

• October 6, 2008

TulsaBroncoFan writes:

Hey there Zman...I liked all the names for the Broncos Defense...may fav is....
    Jeckyl & Hyde Defense....
    You are always wondering which defense is gonna show....:)

• October 6, 2008

go#6 writes:

Good heavens. I don't understand all the ire directed at cutler nowadays. I guess some people out there just can't live without hating the quarterback. Does no-one remember Elway's pouty-face and tantrums? Griese's red faced cursing? Plummer was calm but he had a knack for throwing far more ints than Cutler. There's another quarterback out there who got famous because of a rocket arm, vision, and a willingness to gamble: Brett Favre. this is only cutler's 3rd season... let him grow

• October 6, 2008

Bob writes:

The problem with Cutler bitching and moaning after every play that doesn't go his way is that he makes the Broncos team look bad. He's always yapping about something. Now, maybe he's yapping at his own players, but it certainly looks like he's always yapping at the refs. That doesn't earn you any respect, and it probably makes the refs more apt to look the other way when you get popped like he did at K.C. Refs, just like MLB umpires, will screw you over if you just keep testing them. I'd bet money that the refs just let the hit to the back go in K.C. because Cutler was constantly complaining about something. Probably made the refs feel good to see Jay get his spine rattled. And he probably deserved it. MLB umpires will widen the strike zone on hitters that keep complaining. Refs in the NFL will look the other way.

Jay needs to shut his mouth. Maybe when he's been in the league 10 years, he can talk that way to the refs, but currently he's not earning any points by trying to show them up.

• October 6, 2008

Tucker writes:

"...this is only cutler's 3rd season... let him grow."

Um, real, true, bonafide NFL quarterbacks don't need three years to "grow." Jay Cutler is never going to be what Denver Broncos fans expect him to be. The guy is not a winner. Not even a little bit. He should be way ahead of the curve by now, and he's not even at the curve.

Want to see a QB who is way ahead of the curve? Look at Washington's Jason Campbell. Now that is a stud quarterback. This dude was set after one season and he's far and a way more mature and talented than Cutler.

• October 6, 2008

T-Y writes:

Tucker I can't believe you made that argument. Yes, he has no int's, but comparing him to Cutler is ridiculous. First off, he played half a year after Plummer, then another half a year before getting diabetes, and now he is lighting people up. Not at the curve? Please...No one in the league I would rather have.

• October 7, 2008

T-Y writes:

As for the D, I would name it:

Orange Mush
    Swiss Misses
    The Roulette's
    The Career Day's
    Slowik Air & Ground Show
    Slowik Sieve
    or simply, The Slowiks...

I'm a Broncos fan, But I'm also realistic...Good start this weekend though...

• October 7, 2008

Anonymous writes:

Campbell just took Washington into Dallas and Philly and won both games. Cutler would never and could never pull that off.

Jay Cutler is not the answer. He'll be gone within 2-3 years.

• October 7, 2008

Anonymous writes:

I'm also a huge douche

• October 7, 2008

Anonymous writes:

Wow. Whomever you are - How's it going in the Junior High computer lab today?

• October 7, 2008

Anonymous writes:

Give me a break, Cutler has barely broke into the league and everyone is on his case because he's not "mature". I'm sure no one has seen Peyton Manning with that sour face everytime he throws an incomplete pass, and he's one of the best in the game.

"Campbell just took washington into dallas and philly and won both games. Cutler would never and could never pull that off"

Yeah because I have a crystal ball that tells me everything.

Uhhhhh Washington has a defense that makes stops. Washington has a pretty talented RB. If Cutler could not and would not ever win a game in Dallas or Philly, I'm sure it would have more to do with the Defense missing tackles, failing to pressure McNabb and Romo.

I guess it is the quarterback's job to pressure the other teams QB and get into the backfield to stop the Running Back from getting to the line of scrimmage. I forgot that was in the Quarterback's job description, my bad.

"I played 4 years of college ball on the bench, so therefore I know when I see a great QB and Cutler just is horrible."

LOL give me a break. You're one of those who just hates any QB that is on the Broncos. If Cutler were on any other team, you wouldn't even pay attention...but he's on the Broncos, whoa whoa whoa...he's a terrible QB.

So ignorant. If you pay attention to any NFL analyst, they all are very high on Cutler and think he's a budding star...the only people who don't want to admit that are Bronco haters, which clearly shows your ignorant bias.

• October 7, 2008

Anonymous writes:

I said the same thing about Elway when he was young...I'm so smart. I was one of those who said that Elway would never win a SB. All those years riding the pine in college taught me how to love to hate Denver QBs.

• October 7, 2008

Anonymous writes:

Sitting on the bench in Maryland gave me such an understanding of the game.

Sure, I washed jersey's and kept the bench warm, but it gave me a visual advantage to study the game and become the know it all that I am today.

• October 7, 2008

Chris Hansen (Dateline NBC) writes:

• October 7, 2008

Alan writes:

Speaking of the no D
    Maybe it should be called:

The Enver Efence.

The D showed up last Sunday. I hope the trend continues.

• October 8, 2008

Shelby writes:

sorry Alan beat you to that one although I like the capitalization

funny tho my last name is Allen so whoa wierd.

• October 8, 2008

Penfold writes:

The Denver SIEVE-fence.

• October 8, 2008

Mark writes:

Chris Hansen (Dateline NBC) writes:

"So, Mr. Anonymous...why would you be interested in what is going on at the Junior High Computer Lab?

I'm not a police officer, but I am a TV host on Dateline NBC's "To Catch a Predator" Curious why a Junior High Lab would interest a washed up college football player such as yourself?"
    -------------------------------------------

Drew, great blog. However, I think this poster needs to be warned about what is appropriate discussion and what is absolutely foul and not acceptable for a public forum. I would definitely say that this person posting as Chris Hansen should be immediately banned from ever posting here and his ISP blocked. What he is implying is absolutely cruel.

Mark

• October 8, 2008

Alan writes:

Sorry Shelby. I didn't see your post. It's all yours.

• October 9, 2008

Chris Hansen (Dateline NBC) writes:

So Mark, If the reality of this situation concerns you, the perhaps you are Mr. Anonymous.

• October 9, 2008

Chris Hansen (Dateline NBC) writes:

Mark, another thing...Allow me to educate you properly on your use of internet acronyms. If I had my ISP blocked, that would mean that anyone using this ISP would be blocked. So if my ISP (internet service provider) is MSN and they blocked it, then everyone using MSN ans their ISP would be blocked. I really doubt the RMN will want to block thousands/millions of users because I posted something that you're uncomfortable with. You can't deny that my show uncovers a sick reality and for you to block that exposure makes me suspicious of you. Instead of asking to block your ISP, I will be more realistic and as that your IP address be banned from the internet to save our children.