October 1, 2008 10:05 PM

Fall Plague Alert: Cubs fans

DREW1002.gif

Best of the Pests
Some of my favorite people are, unfortunately, Cubs fans. They usually can't help it. They were born that way. I love to poke fun at them in cartoons, but honestly, I don't consider them the most obnoxious sports fans in the world. For instance, I think Charlie Brown was a Cubs fan. Rodney Dangerfield too. They get no respect. But obnoxious is a whole other level. They're the kind of fans who hang around the water cooler, or at the bar, spouting stats and trivia about their teams. Their wardrobe is always color coordinated in their teams colors. That sort of thing.

So, Who has the most Obnoxious Fans in sports?
It's your turn. I want to hear from all of you. Who do you think has the kind of fans that you would never invite over for a bar-b-que? Or the kinds of fans you have actually thought about getting kicked out of your office, your favorite bar, your church or your neighborhood. And tell me why they bother you so much. What makes em so dadgum weird? I wanna know. Just keep it clean. I don't want to have to sic Al Davis on you.

• October 2, 2008

Jacob writes:

I go to college in Massachusetts and 2 years ago I went to a Broncos-Patriots game at Gillette Stadium. I went with my buddy who's also from Colorado, my girlfriend (pats fan), and another friend from school (pats fan). I was wearing my bright orange Elway jersey while my buddy from Colorado was wearing a Champ Bailey jersey. My girlfriend was decked out in a Teddy Bruschi jersey and my other friend was wearing a Tom Brady jersey. Midway through the 3rd quarter after the Broncos went up 14-10, I engaged in some good natured ribbing with the fans around me. They proceeded to pour beer all over my girlfriend and throw change at my friend who's a Pats fan. Not me in my BRIGHT ORANGE jersey. No one in the section called security, they just kept yelling at my girlfriend saying "why did you bring them here?" They teased her to the point of tears. Later in the game, the Pats lined up with only 5 guys on the line of scrimmage. Me and my friend who's a Bronco fan screamed at the refs pointing out the obvious infraction. After the flag was thrown Pats fan booed the way Charger fans would have booed after the Cutler "incompletion." I tried explaining to them that this was a rule and not a judgement call but everyone in the section just threw more change at me. Then with 13 minutes to go, Javon Walker scored on a 75 yard reception to make it 21-10. Approximately 1/4 of the stadium got up and left at this point. Let me ask people this, in the Elway days would you leave a game with an entire quarter to play with the ball in Elway's hands down by 2 scores? Pats fans are absolutely the worst/most intolerable fans in all of sports

• October 2, 2008

Jacob writes:

• October 2, 2008

James writes:

Actually, judging from Jacob's post, Bronco fans are the most arrogant, fairweather, idiotic, bandwagon people immaginable. They always seem overly concerned with other teams and their problems instead of noticing how screwed up their own team is. Too funny.

How many Superbowls have the Broncos been to in the last 10 years? How many Superbowls have the Patriots played in and won?

Game, set, match Patriots. Goodnight.

• October 2, 2008

Mike writes:

James, you are not invited to my BBQ. Go videotape some signals instead.

• October 3, 2008

Meaghan writes:

If anyone is the most obnoxious fans, it's Oregon Duck fans. Moved out here to Oregon a few years ago (miss you Denver) and was innundated with demands that I choose a side. Oregon State, or Oregon. The Beaver fans were gracious, welcoming (and when I went to their games decked in Notre Dame gear) fun loving and generous.

Duck fans believe they are entitled to be national champions, just because they're sponsored by Nike. and when they lose games to the likes of Boise State, it's never their teams fault, it's always someone else's, but when they win based on bad Pac-10 calls (hi Oklahoma), their response is that the other team should stop whining and "Winners Always Find A Way To Win"

Then, when they don't get the bowl game they want, it's because they have no respect (then when they lose the bowl game they got, it's not because their players are just as arrogant and phoned it in, it's the BCS's problem.)

Ugh...

• October 3, 2008

Jacob writes:

Pats record before Brady: 212-244
    Super Bowl record before Brady: 0-2
    Pats record with Brady: 91-37
    Pats Super Bowl record with Brady: 3-1

That adds up to a .500 record in Super Bowls all time. This is the problem with Pats fans, they think that just because they've been great over the past 7-8 years, they think that that means that they're one of the elite franchises in all of the NFL. They're not, they were a skidmark on the NFL before they got one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. You guys came just above the Bungles in the NFL's pecking order. The NFL was around before 2001.

• October 3, 2008

J.P. writes:

Bill Murray must be ready to jump off a bridge after last night.

• October 3, 2008

James writes:

Again Jacob,

Game, set, match Patriots. Goodnight.

Winning is all that matters. The Pats have won in the last 10 years. The Broncos haven't.

Thank you.

• October 3, 2008

Jacob writes:

You my friend, are a FANTASTIC mathematician. Last 10 years huh? Let me get my calculator out...2008-10=1998. Now let's cross reference that with Wikipedia and oh! what do you know? The Broncos apparently won Super Bowls in both 1998 AND 1999, leaving them with 1 less than your beloved Patriots. Thank you for proving my point about Pats fans, you really were too kind.

• October 4, 2008

Chris writes:

Love the cartoon Drew! But by far the Nebraska Cornhuskers have the most obnoxious fans on the planet. In a tie for second are the fans of the Cubs and the Green Bay Packers.

Go Dodgers!

• October 4, 2008

Warren writes:

Actually Jacob, the Broncos only have won 1 superbowl in the last 10 years. 1998-99. The 1997-98 season was not within the last 10 years. So, James's point is technically correct.

What a stupid argument anyway. It's very clear to anyone that the Patriots have been the more successful team in the last decade. The Broncos haen't done anything of importance. It's no contest.

• October 8, 2008

ihatedenver writes:

Jacob goes to a football game in the other team's jersey and is absolutely crestfallen that he got abuse? What an idiot.

Or, more precisely, what a Bronco fan.

And as for fan abuse, everything you wrote about your "traumatic" experience in Foxborough pretty much happens by the end of the first quarter in the South Stands at Invesco.

I won't even weigh in on the "who's a better franchise" argument, because unless you're a complete moron, it's obvious the Patriots are the superior franchise.

And by the way, Red Sox fans are way more annoying than Pats fans.

• October 8, 2008

Tim writes:

Right.

Jacob is actually shocked that he got "abused" in an opponents stadium because he was wearing a Broncos jersey.

Jacob - you need to wake up to reality. What, exactly, did you expect?

Nucklehead.

• April 15, 2010

Jimmy Pomykala writes:

Jetez vous dans l'action avec la télécommande de Xcross pour Nintendo Wii. La conception sans fil et la technologie de sensibilité de mouvement vous donne une commande totale dans vos jeux préférés.