November 18, 2008 6:25 PM

ESPN: Gobble Gobble

Drew1119.gif

Dinner Time
Talk about your hungry appetite. ESPN continues to grab TV rights to every sport in sight. The future of cable TV might be 250 ESPN channels, CNN and The Weather Channel. Hey, It could happen.

Some days it's just the Blues
Feeling a bit melancholy these days. I'll be turning 50 towards the end of the year and I've become a bit more contemplative about life, the cards I've played and the ones I didn't or haven't. I've unfortunately witnessed how short life really is and I fear I'll get to the last chapter only to find out I didn't roll the dice as much as I should have. I guess these feelings I'm having comes with the change of seasons and the passing of years. Does anybody else ever feel like this? Just wondering.

Roll with the Changes
The newspaper business is changing rapidly. It's one of the reasons I have been learning to animate my cartoons. It's one of the reasons I do this blog everyday. I'm still trying to innovate and challenge myself to keep up with the changes our industry is going through and, quite honestly, connect with all of you in different ways. It's one of the reasons I value your feedback and the comments you leave here. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and look at the cartoons and join in the conversation. I really appreciate all of you.

• November 18, 2008

Phred writes:

Nah...

They skimp on the important ones: America's Cup and Tour de France.

Which I would watch.

• November 19, 2008

gene writes:

Its part of the process, the circle of life.
    50 is more than just a number, use it as a starters pistol to start living and try those things you have always wanted to do.
    see a few more sunrises, enjoy the quiet moments in your life.
    welcome to the fifties, i have been there for 3 years and am findng more joy in little things. the wins and loses will come and go.
    find what is important to you, and value the moments you spend with your family and friends.
    In the long run, that is all we really have in life.

• November 19, 2008

good ol' george writes:

I love ESPN but they don't have rights to the Pac-10. To which I say, thank God! Basketball is meant to played at starting times no later than 7 p.m. PST.

• November 19, 2008

Drew writes:

Gene,
    Great advice. It is the simple things we often take for granted. Thanks for your words.

• November 19, 2008

y yamamoto writes:

hi
    I have a idea for a cartoon. draw the a cartoon of the denver broncos as young guns and the leader jay culter as a gun slinger of the old westand the leader.

• November 20, 2008

Scot writes:

Yea, some days I feel like that Drew. Some days it feels I have done so little with live and I wish I had more adventure. Other days seem too busy to notice or it feels I had all the rolling of the dice I can stand. Yes, I have those moods as well.

I think you have done a great job with your animated cartoons and your regular cartoons. I look forward to more of them and seeing you feel more comfortable with them.

• November 30, 2008

BRITT writes:

Every sport but hockey. Apparently it's not a sport to ESPN anylonger.