December 14, 2008 8:18 PM

Broncos: The Pile High City

Drew1215.gif

Welcome to the Pile High City
Now we know just how the Broncos stack up against one of the best teams in the NFL...and it ain't pretty. If the Broncos are to advance in the playoffs (assuming, of course, they get there) they must be able to compete against the heavyweights of the league. The Broncos simply don't have the horses (pun completely intended) to run the race. The Broncs have two games left, at home against Buffalo, which is no easy feat seeing as how the Broncos home field advantage has been foreclosed on, and on the road against San Diego, three days after Christmas when the full effect of eggnog, fruitcake, fudge, cookies and pumpkin pie will be at its peak. In other words it's going to be a cholesterol filled finish. It's conceivable the Broncos could finish 8-8. Not exactly stellar.

Twelve Days of Drew
We're starting the 12 days of Drew soon so be sure to register your votes and ratings. Also, don't forget about the Mt. Crushmore prints. I'll let you know if they are available through Pictopia. Regardless, Mt. Crushmore is downloadable as both a print and a desktop wallpaper right now here on RockyMountainNews.com.

• December 14, 2008

Mike writes:

Drew,

The finger on the nose is hilarious. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Mike

• December 14, 2008

Mike writes:

Drew,

The finger on the nose is hilarious. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Mike

• December 14, 2008

WorkingClassHero writes:

I think there's little doubt that the Broncos will be disposed of rather quickly should they actually sneak into the playoffs. But, that scenario is looking a might bit precarious, isn't it?
    Hey Jay Cutler....do you really know how to read a defense? It sure doesn't look like it. You threw 5 interceptions on Sunday, but fortunately for you, only two were caught. You also fumbled the ball yet again. However, the NFL, and it's stupid "tuck rule" saved you from that embarrassing situation. That said, I don't ever want to hear another Bronco fan ever bring up Tom Brady's deal with the "tuck rule." That is now off the books, Bronco Nation.
    Anyone catch the Chargers game? Wasn't that interesting? Now, based on Sundays games, I would bet if there was a poll taken about which team football fans in the U.S. would rather watch in a playoff game, San Diego would win that poll hands down. Who on Earth would want to watch this Broncos team? Only Broncos fan, that's who.
    If the Powers That Be are listening and watching, they will not allow this debacle of a fottball team in Denver keep playing football after the regular season.
    The Broncos have gotten more breaks from the referees this season than most teams get in a decade, and look where the Broncos still are. Any other team would have turned all that charity into a 12-4 season at a minimum.
    The Chargers at least are playing with pride, win or lose. That comeback they performed will never be equaled by Jay Cutler. Philip Rivers is so far and away better than Jay Cutler that it's hardly worth discussing.
    Well, today made me very happy. I was getting bored of just talking about the Awful Avs. The Broken Broncos are a good topic as well.

Matt writes:

Jay Cutler needs to be benched, NOW.

I am completely tired of him failing to make good reads and basically throwing the football directly into the hands of the opposition.

I don't care if it would cost the Broncos a playoff seed at this point. They aren't going to do anything in the playoffs anyway even if they get there. It would be so much better if they could somehow get a better draft slot and get another quarterback. Jay is just not the answer. He's had his shot.

There is no way that Cutler should go into training camp next year with the job still his outright. There needs to be a fair, open competition for the starting job. Cutler plays like he's got the job for keeps and that no matter what he does or doesn't do, he'll always be the starter. That king of ego and attitude is why he's not a winner. He just wants to show off his big arm. He could care less about the team. All I ever see him do is mope around on the sidelines. He's never talking to the coaches. He never talks to his receivers or backs. He needs to ride some pine for a while so he gets the message that it's not about him.

And a memo to Pat Bowlen - Either fire Mike Shanahan or sell the team. Your choice. But do one of them, for God's sake.

john writes:

The Broncos will not make the playoffs.

Devin writes:

Oh, yeah -- great idea. Bench Cutler. Fire Shanahan. Have Bowlen fire himself. Fire everyone in the organization because the Broncos didn't beat the team at the top of the best division in football, despite having beat the other three teams in it. That's brilliant. Seriously, why aren't you the GM of some Super Bowl-caliber NFL dynasty?

Honestly, some of you "fans" have got to be the most fickle bandwagon jumpers I've ever seen. It's funny how I didn't see any of you on here calling for Shanahan's job or Cutler's head when the Broncos beat the Falcons. Or the Jets. Or Tampa. And where we you when Cutler put together that stellar clutch drive in the Browns game?

WorkingClassHero, you do realize that Cutler has thrown for 350 more yards than Rivers this year, right? And you realize that Cutler has only thrown four more picks over a total of almost 100 MORE attempts than Rivers? And if you want to talk about whining, then let's talk about Philip Rivers, who can be seen whining to the sidelines or the officials every single time a call doesn't go his way. You really want to compare the Broncos to the Chargers? You want to talk about Shanahan's coaching while Norv Turner is driving a once-great team below a .500 record? Could it be, perhaps, that you're focusing on the officiating because the Broncos stats aren't bad enough on their own for all your trash talk? Please.

The Broncos are still at the top of the AFC West, and they've managed to stay there after losing FIVE running backs and more than half of their defensive starters to injuries. Are they frustrating to watch this year? Sure. Inconsistency is always tough for fans. But let's at least be happy we're seeing flashes of greatness rather than no greatness at all.

WorkingClassHero writes:

Um...I'm not a bandwagon jumper. I've always been against the Broncos. Ask anyone. I've been saying that Cutler and Shanahan stink it up as long as I've been posting here. I'm about the only consistent poster here.

Injuries happen to every team. It's very sad to see that you're going that low down to make excuses for your darling Broncos.

It's so funny to see how defensive people get over someone posting about their team. Why do my comments get to you so easily? It's just amusing.
    I'm watching the decline of Jay Cutler, and absolutely loving it. It's unreal how Bronco fans continue to defend him when he has games like this. Call me when he wins at least 2 playoff games in the same season. It has to be 2, though. Otherwise, it's too possible that the first on was a fluke. When Cutler wins 2 playoff games in the same season, I will no longer post here. Until then.....

Rickety Cricket writes:

Working Class Moron,

Cutler is the ONLY thing keeping this team from obscurity - Cutler is not Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, meaning he is not a passer that is going to have an amazing TD to INT ratio, he is much more likely be a Brett Favre who throws a stupid amount of INTs, but also wins some big games, and is also a big goat when they lose

As a Bronco fan, I've watched some horribly mediocre QB performances over the last decade, I'll take Cutler's miscues because he IS IN the top 10% of QB's in this league, I guarantee you, if they had any sort of running game at ALL he would be an MVP candidate. Reminds me a bit of the Broncos of the 80's when all they had was Elway, look what happened when he finally got a TEAM around him

so WCH, if the Broncos aren't your team, take your bitching elswehere, find your own teams blog and make your gripes there, we don't want to hear it

Anonymous writes:

OK, WCH, time to take you to task.

Dude, seriously I don’t understand your motive here. What is the point of coming on and posting here?

I got no problem people discussing points, shoulda, woulda, coulda, but your sole purpose is to rag on the Denver sports scene, and more often than not, your points are weak. Add to that fact that you never give credit where credit is due.

Everything in sports is relational, and this is where your arguments fall apart. Are you telling me the Broncos would be better to have any other QB than Cutler? Seriously? Who could we have besides Cutler? Vince Young? Leinart? Favre? Guys like Brady, Manning, Elway and Montana are once in a lifetime QBs; in relation to the other QBs in the league, I’ll take Cutler over almost any of them. Same goes with coaches and our owner, both I would consider above the league average. So when you come on here and single out the Broncos and AVS and Rockies, all you’re showing is, your motive is to rile up Colorado sports fans, and what’s the point of that? Seriously, why?

Are you doing this for every team in the league? Are you posting on NYPost.com about how the GIANTS are falling apart without Burress? How about the Titans? How about the Chargers, and how it took a freakin Christmas miracle to pull out a win against the two win Chiefs? Are you taunting Rivers and Turner because if you want a team that is way below expectations, they would be it.

Again, point is, it’s relational. Every team has issues, and highs and lows, so what’s the point of coming on and posting every single time someone has an off week, and making weak arguments? Why in the world would I care about how many people would rather watch the Chargers or the Broncos in the playoffs? Seriously, what was that all about?

I CANNOT wait until Cutler wins two playoff games. Probably not gonna happen this year, but it will happen, and then we’ll be rid of you (although I don’t buy for a moment you’ll stop posting. You’ll stop posting as WCH).

[-=m2=-] writes:

OK, WCH, time to take you to task.

Bill writes:

Well, at least we found out who our Anonymous poster has been all this time. It's been -=M2=- all along.

Glad we've figured that out. Nice way of exposing yourself M2. Brilliant move.

Kent writes:

Hey Rickety Cricket -

Did you not read Drew's posts about attacking people here? You have absolutely no right to call WCH a moron. He was directing his thoughts to the Broncos, not to you. So stop taking things so personal.
    Also, speak for yourself. You don't speak for the board here. Don't lump us all in with your attacks on people. Stand on your own two feet, or don't say anything.

[-=m2=-] writes:

I'm not the anonymous poster. I've always posted under [-=m2=-]. Something weird happened when I posted (and yes I only clicked once). I've never seen it do that before.

Bill writes:

Yeah, right -=M2=-, whatever. You've exposed yourself to the whole board. Don't bother backpedaling now. It's a bit too late for that. It's about time you just came clean, don't you think?
    You don't seriously think an excuse like "Something weird happened...." is going to fly here...do you?
    Nothing quite like falling into your own trap.

I think you owe this board an apology.

[-=m2=-] writes:

Bill-

I don't know how else to tell you this but I'm not anonymous. Serious.

JohnnyWCHsucksalot writes:

LIAR!!!!!

• December 16, 2008

Rickety Cricket writes:

sorry to hurt your feelings Kent.....Working Class Hero does suck though.

• December 16, 2008

Howard in Colorado Springs writes:

WCH: It's "mite" not "might", for the record. Even if you do stop posting as WCH your posts have a certain footprint that will be easy to spot. But, I will be looking forward to the day, nevertheless...

• December 16, 2008

Anonymous writes:

Do MY posts have a footprint? I always wanted a footprint.

• December 17, 2008

BroncoFan24 writes:

"Phil-Lip Rivers IS the biggest crybaby I have ever seen; he is even worse than Peyton Manning...always screaming when absolutely everything doesn't go his way."

Pretty apparent that you have not watched a single Bronco game this entire season. Jay Cutler does more whining than any QB in the entire NFL. Stop being such a homer. Even as a Bronco fan, I know how much of a pain in the ass Cutler is the referees. It's pretty amazing that he hasn't been flagged for verbally abusing an official.