January 19, 2009 10:29 PM

Barack Obama:The Promised Land

DREWnew012009.gif

A Day to Remember
I'm never quite sure where an idea will come from. This one struck me midway through watching a U2 video from the Lincoln Memorial concert honoring President-elect Barack Obama. Our rock n' roll expert Mark Brown had posted the video on the Rocky website. The song was "Pride" a U2 classic commemorating the life of MLK. I told Rocky sports columnist Sam Adams I was thinking about this scene of African-American athletes who helped to overcome our nations racial divides witnessing the inauguration. Sam helped me expand the list and Scott Stocker and sports editor Barry Forbis joined in. Soon we had a pretty good list.

A Cast of Thousands
Actually there are only 40, but it felt that way.
I set out sketching Obama taking the oath first and then went left to right filling in the caricatures of each athlete one by one. Sam suggested having all five of the Texas Western players in the caricature instead of just a single representative. Since I'm from El Paso (Texas Western became UTEP in 1967) that seemed like a good idea. This is one of those cartoons that I wished I had about 2 months to work on, really fine tuning each likeness just right. But since we have deadlines I had barely enough time to finish this version. I hope you enjoy it. Take a moment today and breathe in the history before us. This President has a mountain of challenges before him. It will not be an easy road. But like the athletes depicted in this cartoon we must find the way to overcome the adversity we are now facing.

Sue Ewing writes:

Nice cartoon, but too bad you left out the 1st African American QB ever- Marlin Briscoe of the Broncos

Barb writes:

Look again, Sue. He's there...second row from the back in front of Ernie Davis.

Jeremy writes:

Casting aside for a moment my feelings toward Obama, let me say well done Drew. It is always great to look at monumental achievements of days gone by, as we would not enjoy our present status without them.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Newton

Neil writes:

Thank God.

One of the finest things I have ever seen was watching Dick Cheney being wheeled out of office. He is officially a shell of his former self. That is increbibly satisfying. Now all we need to do is convict him and Bush of the war crimes and crimes against humanity and invoke the death penalty on both of them. That should be Obama's first executive order.

Ryan C writes:

I always feel Jack Johnson needs to be mentioned in this elite group. First black heavyweight champion... back in the early 1900's. Broke the color barrier in boxing, when boxing REALLY meant something. If anyone is interested there is a great documentary about Jack Johnson, it was ran on PBS and is called "Unforgiveable Blackness"

am 760 writes:

Great cartoon Drew, keep up the good work. Thank God the bush nightmare is over. God bless america and all nations.

Mike writes:

America is full of brain dead sheep, the next four years will be some of the worst in our nation's history. Obama will be a stooge as President.

Phillip writes:

Mike -

You just had EIGHT FREAKING YEARS of what you consider to be the way things should be.

Did you really expect people to continue that line of thinking? You are shallow minded and misguided.

I pray if you have children, that you will allow them to find their own way and not be under your thumb.

In the words of John Lennon - "Give PEACE a chance."

jimboelrod writes:

Neil

Enjoy today for the history of it and stop with the venom against Bush! I was not an Obama supporter before the election, but I am now that he is officially our president. I know it is probably wishful thinking, but I am ever hopeful that the clowns in Washington will somehow work TOGETHER for the good of the people.

Neil writes:

Bush has earned my venom, as well as the venom of all the families of those who he has condemed to death by starting an unnecessary war.

Bush will pay dearly for what he has done.

Anonymous writes:

Good riddance to Georgie and Dick.

I'll bet that if we see a picture of them in 4-5 years, they will look 50 years older.

Being an executioner does that to people.

Vern writes:

The Evil Empire is finally gone. Hope has finally arrived.

Chris W. writes:

Neil you are such a moron. To convict Bush of war crimes is absolutely ridiculous. Be happy that your man is in the office and get over the fact that you don't like Bush

Chris W. writes:

Chris W. writes:

Erik writes:

Chris W. -

I think you're only supposed to hit the submit button one time. Who's the moron who can't follow directions? Guess it's you pal.

Jacob writes:

You're right, it is ridiculous to convict Bush of war crimes Chris, especially considering that Bush and Cheney confessed to torturing people, which was made illegal by the Geneva Convention so that makes their actions...say it with me now...war crimes!

• January 21, 2009

Anonymous writes:

I understand that Venus and Serena Williams are African-American tennis players, but I just do not see them playing a major role in any kind of equal rights as the others that are shown here.

I think Willie Mays and Sugar Ray Leonard would have been good choices as well.

• January 21, 2009