January 9, 2009 10:49 PM

College Football Playoffs Anyone?

DREW011009.gif

Thank you Mr. President Elect
Nothing sounds better to me then the next leader of the free world standing up and announcing that what the world needs now, are playoffs, sweet playoffs. If he pulls that off, I'm ready to start the petition to add him to Mt. Rushmore. The truth of the matter is, I really, really enjoy drawing Barack Obama and I just might not get that many chances being a sports cartoonist and all. So you take 'em when you can get 'em.

One of those Days
I did some 13 roughs to get to this image. That happens sometimes. Lately, I feel as though my mind is divided into 75 different office cubicles, none of them really wanting to work with or talk to the guy in the next cubicle unless there are doughnuts and coffee involved. And I guess that is to be expected in the current circumstances here at this grand Colorado institution known as the Rocky Mountain News. All of us here are sort of on pins and needles as we await word on whether our company has found a buyer for the paper. We're still dedicated to bringing you the very best newspaper and website we possibly can but, still, on occasions our minds do wander a bit, wondering what our future holds.

I've been blessed
It all makes me very grateful to be a cartoonist in the current economic climate. Through the years I've had the great pleasure of getting to know some of you who read my daily sports cartoons. That's been the very best part of this job. Words will never express how much it means to me that you have allowed one of my cartoons to be a part of your day. Have a great Colorado weekend. If you can, get out and take a walk around the neighborhood, or better yet, one or our states many amazing hiking trails. Soak it up. Breathe it in. And be thankful for the simple joys of life.

-drew-

• January 10, 2009

Gordo writes:

I didn't vote for Obama. I am not that excited with him as president. If he gets college football playoffs though I will jump on the Obama bandwagon.

• January 10, 2009

Fred writes:

People are dying needlessly all over the world.

Human traffiking is at an all time high.

People are losing their homes.

We are in a world-wide economic crisis from which we will never recover.

Global warming is killing off the planet.

This is actually game over for the human race as we know it.

And college football playoffs is of what importance?

• January 11, 2009

hrvoje writes:

Hi, Drew!

I read your cartoons from Croatia, Europe, and enjoy them a whole bunch. I lived in Denver from 1994 to 2001, and I miss Colorado a lot.

Nevertheless, Fred (and you) brought an interesting question - what is important, and what not. Looking from over here (and this is a whole lot different prospective), a list on the left should take first priority...

• January 11, 2009

Penfold writes:

This is the way the world ends.

This is the way the world ends.

This is the way the world ends.

Not with a bang, but a whimper.

- T.S. Eliot
    "The Hollow Men"

• January 11, 2009

Jacob writes:

You all are complete and total imbeciles if you actually believe that a college football playoff is #1 on obama's priority list.

• January 12, 2009

Ted in Vegas writes:

You're an idiot if you think Obama is going to solve any of these problems; but you're also an idiot if you think this cartoon wasn't tongue in cheek. Either that or you lack a sense of humor.

• January 13, 2009

dude writes:

Drew-
    Great toon!!! Very funny! It captures the sentiment of a lot of the country.

For the rest of you, LIGHTEN UP!!! My goodness, you must think world revolves around you to think this toon was meant any way then in jest!!

Playoffs, and about 1/4 of the bowl games are what college football needs to get people excited again. At this point ANYONE can make a bowl game if they are close to 500 for the season. If the NFL were run like the BCS then the SuperBowl would be the Titans and Giants, and as we all know that is an unlikely situation.

There are big problems in the world but when the outlet we use to relax for a while gets us riled up again then what is the point?