February 26, 2009 9:10 PM

A Mile High Salute

Drewfinalcartoon.gif

And in the End
The Love you take
is equal to the Love you make

-The Beatles

And so the day comes that we never imagined. The Rocky is no more. It has been such an incredible honor to have drawn sports cartoons for this great paper. We've been through a lot, you and I. We've witnessed so much sports history unfold before our eyes. Elway. Roy. Helton. Melo. I could go on for hours but instead I'll get to the heart of the matter.
That would be you. To each and every reader who has read my cartoons either casually or daily I want to say "Thank You". Thank you for the privilege of making my cartoons a part of your day. I hope in some way I have made you laugh or think. If I've made you a little steamed, I sincerely hope it didn't last long. So here is a Mile High salute to all of you.

And so the story goes
At this time my future is still yet undecided. I do not know where life will take me. As of now I'm what you would call officially a free agent. Or on the waiver wire. But I'd like to invite all of you to visit me (and hopefully bookmark) at my new sports cartoons website www.drewlitton.com .
I'm going to continue to draw sports cartoons there at least a few days a week and post them regularly. I also have set up a new business website for freelance work at LittoonzStudios.com I am going to finish the Mt. Rockmore cartoon soon, which can be seen at either of those sites as well and will be available through my websites stores and Cafe Press. You can find future updates also on www.iwantmyrocky.com

And for those of you who would like to contact members of our staff I would again suggest iwantmyrocky.com. There is a ton of fantastic talent at this paper, from web design, to writing to photography. One of the members of our sports department is the amazingly gifted sports writer, Lynn DeBruin. She has written on everything from Tiger Woods at the Masters to the Denver Broncos at the Super Bowl. I inivite you to check out her website as well at http://web.me.com/Ldebruin1 she can be contacted at Ldebruin1@gmail.com. She's an incredibly talented colleague.

I'd like to thank a few people for everything through the years. My incredible wife, Marcia, who has supported me in so many ways these last few years. Meredith and Michelle Worden, Mike and Debbie Minter, Larry and Linda Kapke, Rick and Suzie O'Keefe, Bob and Pat Lovelace, Jerry and Leslie Hoggatt, Bill and Jan Oudemolen and the entire Kitchell family. Denny Dressman who hired me and my fantastic sports editors Barry Forbis and Kevin "Moose" Huhn for putting up with me. To Mark Wolf, B.G. Brooks and editors John Temple and Deb Goeken. Norm Clarke, and the late great Ralph Looney without whom I would not have this job. To Gerry Valerio and Scott Stocker, the best high school sports staff on the planet. Yes they are that good. All the folks at my syndicate, United Media and everyone in the Rocky sports department. Many thanks to Steve Foster, Rich Moyer aka my animation partner in crime and Matthew Roberts. Remember those names again if you are looking for amazing talent. And to my late and wonderful wife, Debbie. Not a day goes by that I don't miss her. I don't have room for everyone but thanks to all of you I might have left out.

This is not the end...it is the beginning
I invite you to leave your messages or email me at sportoonz@aol.com. They would mean so much to me to hear from as many of you as is possible. God Bless,

Drew Litton
-30-

• February 26, 2009

Anthony Brooks writes:

I will miss your cartoons the most Drew, Keep your head up, Stay positive, Much luv. Take care and God Bless..:(

TRSpidey writes:

I'm an artist like you and I specialize in sequential art. Too bad, with some newspaper agencies closing down and cartoons moving on-line. I feel like I don't have much opportunity to show my work but will continue to keep plugging on. Drew, you're an inspiration to me and thanks for lots of laughs! Hope to hear from you soon...

TRS

Mike writes:

Drew,

Thank you for many wonderful years of thoughtful, entertaining cartoons. Of the many things I will miss about the Rocky, you are the first.

Looking forward to seeing you in the funny pages.

Mike

Meredith writes:

Drew,
    I'm writing from Beijing to say thanks for all the memories, both in the paper and in life. You've been a great inspiration to me for all these years. I'll miss logging on to catch the latest Win, Lose & Drew.

"Don't stop thinkin' about tomorrow..." you know the rest.

God Bless you buddy,
    Meredith

byron writes:

That first cup of coffee and cigarette is not going to be the same from now on.....
    I'm so old, when I was young the Dead Sea was only sick....

Brad writes:

I've been "out of town" for almost a decade now, but the one thing that kept me up with "my second home" was your cartoons Drew. It was once of my favorite things about living in Denver.

This announcement makes me sad, that the RMN is going away as well. I surely will be bookmarking your new site.

Mitch writes:

Drew,

Thank you for sharing your amazing talent with so many people. Every day the first thing I would do is check this website for your new toon. You have an amazing talent and I have no doubt you will land on your feet. Good luck Drew and thanks for everything.

Will writes:

Drew,

Thank you for all the hard work and cartoons over the years!

Tom Hanrahan writes:

Drew,

We have all been to the Super Bowl, The World Series, The Stanley Cup and The NBA Play Offs with you and have enjoyed every minute of it through your eyes. You have always taken us with you to these events. Thank you for all you have done to inspire us. Hope you find a place to show case your talents. Best of luck old friend.

Tom

Eugene writes:

So many years of Joy and Thought-provoking laughter you have given us, Drew,,, And the saddest thing I saw in your message was
    -30-
    Land on your feet, Fella,,, the world needs more like you~!
    Eugene

Koumaster writes:

Drew,

Denver media will not be the same without you. For so long I have enjoyed starting my day with your toons. Thank you so much for the joy you have brought us for so many years!

David Smith writes:

Drew,

I haven't lived in Colorado for almost 2 decades, but one thing that helps keep me current with sports and esp. Colorado sports has been my daily checking of your Toonz at RMN. I never go to any other part of the website. You were by far the best part of the paper and the Part I will remember always. Luckily all I have to do is change the bookmark on my browser. Best of Luck to ya Drew!

Colin writes:

I'm a big fan drew. What's the saying,'A picture is worth a thousands words.' Your's were worth a lot more than that. I look forward to more cartoons from your site.

wyo4rox writes:

Your cartoon was my favorite part of the reading the Rocky every day.

bill flood writes:

promise me you will post future cartoons either for someone else or on the net---big mahalo

bill flood writes:

SE7EN writes:

End of an era, but not the end of Drew...I'm sure we'll see you somewhere great soon. Thanks for all you did for RMN!

Suzi & Rick OKeefe writes:

Drew,

What a wonderful blog... We love you and Marcia very much and will be praying that all goes well. We to miss Deb everyday but Thank GOD for Marcia.

We will be looking at all your work on the websites you listed.

GOD BLESS and we love you very much.

Josh writes:

Drew,
    You could have filled a stadium with characters for this cartoon. Thank you for always making a picture worth more than 1000 words.