February 9, 2009 2:18 PM

Third time no charm for immigration bill

Some things are annual traditions at the General Assembly.

The session ends within 120 days. Legislators praise veterans and 4-H students. And the Senate State, Veterans and Military Affairs Committee kills Sen. Dave Schultheis' bill to require businesses to verify that potential employees are citizens.

It happened again Monday, by the annual 3-2 party-line vote of Dems over Republicans.

Schultheis had come to the committee showing that aside from the bill's primary change - making all private employers use the federal E-Verify system rather than just major state contractors - it did little to alter a 2006 law on the subject.

Still, committee chairwoman Suzanne Williams, D-Aurora, said that while she liked its goals, she feels the idea needs more discussion.

"I want to continue working on this. I think we need to work on it even stronger in a bipartisan manner," Williams said.

See ya next year!

• February 9, 2009

the_ripper writes:

What a suprise.

• February 9, 2009

Marta writes:

More discussion?????? Are you daft????? The law is the law and the Federal law already states that it is illegal to employ an immigrant who is here illegally - whether they came illegally or whether they overstayed their visa - they are still illegal. When will the powers that be get a clue?????

Democrats are flushing our country down the toilet.

• February 9, 2009

The Biker Chick writes:

Strange logic.

Colorado has a half million unemployed legal U.S. citizens - AND has a half-million fully-employed illegal aliens.

Those who are against this bill in the CO Gen Assy need to be dumped so they can feel the pain.

Recall Petition time !

What a bunch of crap.

• February 9, 2009

SanctuaryCity writes:

They all need recalled. This sanctuary state legislation needs out immediately for the protection of the citizens. You wonder why things are messed up and crime is running out of control. Way to go democrats(socialists)

• February 9, 2009

Tom Creegan writes:

Why does the Colorado legislature waste time trying to pass laws that are superceded by federal laws? By federal law (the Patriot Act), all businesses have to verify legal status. Federal law trumps state law. Basic high school civics folks, but evidently beyond our legislature!

• February 9, 2009

Crista writes:

I testified at that hearing. I just sent a protest letter to Senators Bacon, Boyd and Williams. Let me know if you want a copy.

• February 10, 2009

Wanda GB writes:

Everything you need to know about immigration and what to do about it humorously told.

NumbersUSA is the hero.

• September 23, 2010

work at home income writes:

Wonderful to read!

• April 23, 2011

Conseils Voyage writes:

Great weblog and I really like what you have to say and I think I will tweet this out to my mates to allow them to check it out as well. I like what you have to say. nice post and I fully agree with you on all points and I am fascinated by adding a link on my blog to your blog put up as a result of its that good.