August 19, 2008 1:01 PM

Think there's more to the cyanide death at the hotel?

The case of the Somalian native who died of cyanide poisoning in a Denver hotel is still percolating with the death still not ruled a suicide.

The Canadian man found dead next to a jar of cyanide in a Denver hotel room was buried Thursday at Hampden Cemetery in Denver after a service at Masjid Abu Bakr mosque.

Family members said Saleman Abhirahman Dirie, 29, had schizophrenia, lending credence to the theory that he may have committed suicide.

FBI and hazmat teams got involved in the incident because cyanide can be used to make chemical weapons, and the foreign national had arrived in Denver shortly before the start of the Democratic National Convention.

Dirie's body was found Monday in his room on the fourth floor of the Burnsley Hotel at 1000 Grant St.

The Denver coroner confirmed Dirie was killed by cyanide poisoning, but the death has not been ruled a suicide pending further laboratory testing.

Think there's more to this story? Think it will come out before the Democratic National Convention?

• August 19, 2008

JMH writes:

Ask and you shall recieve shaggy... Have a blast with those consperacy theories...

• August 19, 2008

Shaggy writes:

Thanks for this thread Mark, I think people should be very alarmed by this incident and the fact that the DNC is right around the corner.
    I find it to much of a coincidence not to be related.

What I find so ironic is they, FBI, CIA, local authorities, can rule out that it was NOT a terrorist with terrorist intentions of causing harm to other people yet they can't rule whether it was suicide, accident or homicide.
    The fact that he had so much of the stuff indicates to me that he MAY have had other intentions besides suicide.
    It could also be that he wasn't experienced enough with it and he accidentally killed himself trying to do something else with it.
    As far as we know he may not have even killed himself but rather someone else killed him as a cover or he knew too much or......
    Yes, I am speculating but he was dead for at least a couple days before they found him. Why didn't the maids find him earlier?
    Did he tell them not to bother him for a couple of days or did someone else tell them not to bother cleaning his room for a couple of days?
    How long did he have this room rented for or how long was his intentions of staying there?
    Why are the authorities not addressing these issues with the public?

The fact that we are not being told anything more when this could be a very very serious situation concerns me for sure.
    I really don't care if I sound like chicken little, when someone is running around with a pound of pure crystal cyanide should alert anyone who plans on attending the DNC.
    Course I will not be attending the circus for other reasons but I do care about my fellow humans beings, even though most of them have no idea who Obama is or how border line radical left he is.

""He was not a terrorist," Dirie's sister told CanWest News Service on Wednesday from the family home in Ottawa.
    "We don't want to hear that word," she said. "It is against our religion.""

She sure sounds like a creditable source.
    Just close my eyes and ears and don't believe it at it's finest.

I also heard that the cops, fire fighters and first responders were issued a "mark 41"(?) kit to inject themselves with antidotes in case of some kind of attack.
    Sounds to me like they might know something they are not sharing with the people.
    If I were headed to the DNC, I know I would want to have one of those kits.

• August 19, 2008

Enquiring Minds Want To Know writes:

• August 19, 2008

JMH writes:

Now change your underwear, shaggy...

• August 19, 2008

Shaggy writes:

No conspiracy theories there slugger, just concerns which you should be having too.

• August 19, 2008

Shaggy's Mom writes:

Ok Honey, time to come upstairs and have your fish sticks after you put on your jammies. I just washed the ones with The Hulk on them!

• August 19, 2008

history buff writes:

The story has the flavor of a mystery novel. I wish Detective Harry Bosch, Michael Connelly's recurring character, was able to sift the crime scene and give us a report. Harry would most likely disprove the obvious. The dead foreign national of the Muslim faith would be too obvious for Harry, and there would be no story for the reader.

In The Overlook, a doctor with access to nuclear materials stored at a hospital in the Valley north of LA is found murdered at the outlook on Mulholland Drive. The FBI is fearful that Islamic terrorists are about to strike the city of angels, but Harry, being a gumshoe in the tradition of Sam Spade, Mickey Spillane, or Phillip Marlowe, except that Harry works for the City of Los Angeles and is not a p.i., investigates the murder, not the cesium. The FBI is led astray, but Harry follows what he knows from experience. The most likely murder suspects are the people closest to the victim.

• August 19, 2008

Shaggy writes:

"What kind of an out and out retard would request such a STUPID thread? Only some kind of neocon nutcase would be interested in this blather."

That has to be the most outlandish stupidest statement I have ever heard.
    Yea, it is stupid to have concerns when some idiot is running around with a pound of crystal cyanide when the DNC is right around the corner.
    For some reason it doesn't surprise me that it came from an ignorant loon.
    Hey dumb shit, I am a true conservative but I do NOT wish harm to come to the people attending the DNC.
    It shouldn't be a Political issue but morons like you want it to be.
    The Democrats are going to have a hard enough time making themselves look good during the circus without rap like this.
    I just hope like hell IF something happens they didn't have knowledge of it before hand and refused to tell the public in fear hurting their party chances of getting elected.
    That would be a TRUE case of putting the party ahead of the good of the people and probably the collapse of the Democratic party.

• August 19, 2008

Shaggy writes:

And quit hiding under other aliases Bam Bam when you want to converse with me.
    Trust me...I know!!!!!
    And I can prove that as well!!!!

Sherlock Holmes writes:

Ok this is a Canadian. Which means he came across the northern border. Legally or illegally?
    we did have terrorists caught there.

a whole Jar of cyanide? One only needs a small amount. Ghering only had a small capsule to commit suicide.

I think this is a terrorist sent to come here and create chaos. But at the last minute he came to his senses and decided he couldn't do it. Instead he took his own life.

Detective Mike Logan writes:

Meh. Who cares. I was in my last episode last week. Think I'll call it a day and stop by Carrie's place on my way home.

SASQUATCH writes:

REUTERS/ZOGBY: MCCAIN BOLTS AHEAD BY 5!!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - In a sharp turnaround, Republican John McCain has opened a 5-point lead on Democrat Barack Obama in the U.S. presidential race and is seen as a stronger manager of the economy, according to a Reuters/Zogby poll released on Wednesday.

McCain leads Obama among likely U.S. voters by 46 percent to 41 percent, wiping out Obama's solid 7-point advantage in July and taking his first lead in the monthly Reuters/Zogby poll.

Enquiring Minds Who Don't Care writes:

Btw Shag, is that your picture with your sister in the Macy's "Back to School" ad...if so, you look just like I pictured. Did your Mom buy all of your back to school stuff yet?

Observer writes:

Uhm, Sascrotch - A couple of points here.
    First off, you are old. That automatically makes you uninteresting and your opinions out of touch and outdated. Go watch The Hallmark Channel until your afternoon stories come on.

Secondly, this is not a political thread. This is a "Shaggy Conspiracy Theory" thread. Please go drink somewhere else. See if 40 Acres has come to yet.

Shaggy writes:

Now it is thought that this guy was dead for six days before being found. He had no money, no job and was living with his parents in Canada and suddenly told his family he was going on vacation.
    Who was paying for his hotel room and how did he get the cyanide?
    How can this be a conspiracy theory when we have a dead body and a pound of crystal cyanide?
    Hopefully the authorities looking into this are not as stupid as some of the idiots posting here.
    What makes me think there is more to this story is that we are not being informed on it and it is a HUGE story.
    A guy with no money, no job, lives in Canada, just happens to travel to Denver, then just happens to rent a high priced hotel close to where the DNC will be held in a few days and just happens to have a pound of crystal cyanide.
    His family and friends said it was very unusual for him to even leave the house let alone travel out of the Country because he was a very reclusive person. 300 pounds, 6'4".
    Yet the only place one can find info about this is to go to the Canadian web sites.

Yet we have idiots here saying this is some kind of an illusion I am having..my god you people are idiots.

Observer writes:

"He had no money, no job and was living with his parents..."

Shagster, by that same standard, the police would be looking at YOU! No go finish watching "Blue's Clues"

Shaggy writes:

I guess it is also a conspiracy theory that the police are finding bricks taped to the back of dumpsters..morons.
    Hopefully the people providing security to the DNC are not as naive as some of you.
    Then again, those who think this is no big deal are probably naive enough to blindly vote for Obama.

Anonymous writes:

"And quit hiding under other aliases Bam Bam when you want to converse with me.
    Trust me...I know!!!!!
    And I can prove that as well!!!!" - shaggy

Sorry shaggy, just another consperacy theory. I don't need to hide from the likes of you and I ALWAYS post my name...

Wasn't me. Swear on anything you want me to. So try to prove it if you want, but it wasn't me. I found it funny and yes - other people are making fun of you, but it wasn't me...

Anonymous writes:

Lots of poor somolians with no means of income get rooms in upscale hotels and have a pound of cyanide with them. Nothting to see here, vote obama!!

I am so sick of the right trying to infringe their paranoid fantasies on me, if a man with no job and no money gets a room at a upscale hotel and happens to have a pound of cyanide, its not your business, you are infringing on his freedoms!!!!! This is why I am voting for obama, he has promised change. I am hoping for some nickels and dimes myself

Anonymous writes:

Why is it that only idiots like 9:34 never add to a thread but rather attack the people who do?
    Immature comes to mind. Reminds me of when I was in grade School.

Anonymous writes:

START EACH DAY WITH A POSITIVE OUTLOOK
    1. Open a new file in your computer.
    2. Name it 'Barack Obama'.
    3. Send it to the Recycle Bin.
    4. Empty the Recycle Bin.
    5. Your PC will ask you:

'Do you really want to get rid of 'Barack Obama?'
    6. Firmly Click 'Yes.'
    7. Feel better?
    GOOD!

Anonymous writes:

This case is very fishy. It doesn't make sense at all. How can one travel with a pound of cyanide from Canada to the US? I'm sure him and his baggage had been through customs and x-ray. How come no one couldn't find this ? How about his passport, what happen to it? I know in the states no one can buy or find that much of cyanide at once. Oh, did we forget that anyone can walk into his hotel room at his absence? This is a hotel any employees have an access to his room, from the maintenance, house keeping, and front desk. There are a lot of questions need to be answered. Something happened to this guy. They need to find out , homicide,suicide, foul play, or murder. The whole world is watching. In depth investigation is needed, all the videos need to be watched and see who went into his room and all activity need to be investigated, where is passport? any phone calls from the room? There are a lot to be answered. As a Muslim American, I'm really tired of being labeled as a terrorist and singled out. Biased conclusion as such is not helping anyone either.

Anonymous writes:

This case is very fishy. It doesn't make sense at all. How can one travel with a pound of cyanide from Canada to the US? I'm sure him and his baggage had been through customs and x-ray. How come no one couldn't find this ? How about his passport, what happen to it? I know in the states no one could buy or find that much of cyanide at once. Oh, did we forget that anyone can walk into his hotel room at his absence? This is a hotel any employees have an access to his room, from the maintenance, house keeping, and front desk. There are a lot of questions need to be answered. Something happened to this guy. They need to find out , homicide,suicide, foul play, or murder. The whole world is watching. In depth investigation is needed, all the videos need to be watched and see who went into his room and all activity need to be investigated, where is passport? any phone calls from the room? There are a lot to be answered. As a Muslim American, I'm really tired of being labeled as a terrorist and singled out. Biased conclusion as such is not helping anyone either.

Anonymous writes:

anonymous writes:

This case is very fishy. It doesn't make sense at all. How can one travel with a pound of cyanide from Canada to the US? I'm sure him and his baggage had been through customs and x-ray. How come no one couldn't find this? How about his passport, what happen to it? I know in the states no one can buy or find that much of cyanide at once. Oh, did we forget that anyone could walk into his hotel room at his absence? This is a hotel any employees have an access to his room, from the maintenance, house keeping, and front desk. There are a lot of questions need to be answered. Something happened to this guy. They need to find out, homicide, suicide, foul play, or murder. The whole world is watching. In depth investigation is needed, all the videos need to be watched and see who went into his room and all activity need to be investigated, where is passport? Any phone calls from the room? There are a lot to be answered. As a Muslim American, I'm really tired of being labeled as a terrorist and singled out. Biased conclusion as such is not helping anyone either

JMH writes:

"And quit hiding under other aliases Bam Bam when you want to converse with me.
    Trust me...I know!!!!!
    And I can prove that as well!!!!" - shaggy

history buff writes:

Homeland Security and the FBI have jurisdiction over the case. That means that none of the questions will be answered unless they find someone to prosecute.

The case needs a loose cannon. How about Doug Bruce? He should have a lot of time on his hands.

peter writes:

Peter Boyle has been collecting lots of rumors on his morning talk show. Like $2500 in cash found in hotel. Guy dead for six days before found. Denver Police refusing to release 411 calls.

Shaggy writes:

No Peter is not collecting lots of rumors.
    He happens to be close friends with many Denver police officers giving him inside information.
    He also IS NOT claiming any of it to be true.
    The Police refusing to release the 911 tapes is a fact.
    The police not talking and answering many Q's about this is another fact.
    Peter Boyles happens to be the only one in the media talking about the seriousness of the ordeal. I find it disingenuous that the media has been mum on this subject when it could have major consenquences if something were to happen.
    Fact is that a man from a foreign country was found dead with a pound of pure crystal cyanide at a place and time where the DNC will be held.
    Brushing this off as a coincidence is ignorant as all hell.

Anonymous writes:

Shaggy asked for this thread? Shaggy are you trying to make JMH lose his Obama erection?

Shaggy writes:

Anon @ 4:51,
    For some reason JMH was thinking this was a partisan thread.
    He thinks the FACT that one guy is dead with a pound of crystal cyanide is a conspiracy theory.
    Go figure.

Gondring writes:

For those who have never bought cyanide and don't know anyone who has used it for suicide, or perhaps don't know much about mental illness, let me give some info...

Sodium Cyanide is typically sold at 500g or more. About 1.5 grams is recommended for a suicide, so there's lots left over. FOUR IN TEN people with Schizophrenia attempt suicide. And cyanide would be a bad choice for mass ingestion poisoning--unless you could get everyone to drink it simultaneously, perhaps as a toast or something--simply because it works very fast...later intended victims would be warned immediately. And through the ventilation system by mixing it with acid to make hydrogen cyanide gas--that's also spotty.

Would such an attack cause alarm? Yes. But are terrorists aware of far more effective attacks? Yes.

The question of why the body wasn't found earlier does make me wonder, but it's not unlikely that a relative works there, a bribe was given, or the dead man used to work a hotel and knew how to be there undetected.

Gondring writes:

• August 21, 2008

kay sieverding writes:

There was a report about a rape and attempted murder in NYC a few months ago where the criminal forced the woman to eat a bottle of pills.

• August 21, 2008

JMH writes:

"For some reason JMH was thinking this was a partisan thread.
    Go figure." - shaggy

Don't think this is partisan, just was making fun of you and your constant box of "fear" that you live in.

Others apparently think the same, since it wasn't me that made fun of you under other names. I made fun of you under my name, I always do. But I understand it is easier for you to think you are the victim of one guy under different alias'. Sorry, but you are not.

Every post I posted was under my name. Always is. But appaently there are alot of others out there that think you are pariniod. Accept it!

Since you think you can prove it was me, I challange you to do so. While I found the other posts funny, it wasn't me and I wont have you to try to accuse me of something I didn't do.

While we may not agree, I have always been a stand-up guy and I know you have as well with me. So you are wrong, I know you will never admit it, but you are. So try to prove it, you wont be able to, it wasn't me... but I am laughing at you with the others!

• August 21, 2008

Shaggy writes:

You are right JMH.
    A guy who happens to be a Somalian from Canada who is on vacation but has no money or job is found dead with a pound of crystal cyanide at a time when the DNC is to be in town shouldn't be of any concern.
    Man how could I have thought this could be a coincidence and could be a disaster.
    What was I thinking?

It isn't worth my time or curiosity to find out if all your posts are coming from the same IP address or not. Really don't care.

• August 21, 2008

JMH writes:

Really, it wasn't me... I don't need to lie...

• August 22, 2008

Shaggy writes:

Two of McCains offices get attacked with white powder and hate mail yet this story is no big deal to the fruiters.