February 26, 2009 7:36 AM

Chaput: Obama-love makes it 'hard for Catholics'

Catholics who have too much admiration for the President of the United States are making it hard on the religion, says Denver Archbishop Charles Chaput.

In Canada to promote his book, Render Unto Caesar, a guide to how Catholics can bring their faith into public life, Chaput said, "In democracies we elect public servants, not messiahs."

Polls show 54 percent of Catholics voted for Obama, whose pro-choice position on abortion is antithetical to Catholic belief.

Jean Torkelson
reports:

Chaput delivered a lecture Monday night at a church on the campus of the University of Toronto. His remarks, reported by the Catholic News Agency, were picked up by blogs and nationally watched Web sites, such as the Drudge Report.

Chaput could not be reached for comment late Wednesday.

He was in Toronto to promote his book, Render Unto Caesar, which discusses how Catholics should bring their faith into public life.

In the presidential election, 54 percent of Catholics voted for Obama, who is pro-choice on abortion, which is condemned by the Catholic Church.

Shaggy writes:

Tells me that 54% of Catholics are not devoted Catholics.
    Catholicism is strongly against abortion and Barry is very pro abortion, borderline radical.
    To the point of denying a baby medical attention if it survives a botched abortion...FACT!

But the medias refused to expose Barrys radical ideals because they have such a slobbering love affair with him so it is not a surprise the more people slowly find out about him his popularity continues to decline.

gr8fuldude writes:

The Roman Catholic church should have gone away LONG ago. Martin Luther had exactly the right ideas back in Wittenburg.

JMH writes:

Chaput is just another person who still bases his life on "fairy tales" and 2000 year old myths, dresses up like Liberace complete with a phallic shaped hat on Sundays and thinks that if you eat meat this Friday, you will go to hell...

...and his opinion matters why?

Also, why has this guys tax exempt status NOT been lifted yet?

SASQUATCH writes:

JUST TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT AND TO CORRECTS THE ARCHBISHOP, ITS THE EPISCOPLAIANS WHO HAVE THE HARD-ON FOR OBAMA.

Teddy Hagert writes:

Chaput: Obama-love makes it 'hard for Catholics'

Actually NOT

Obama is the scapegoat.

Heres Why.

The Catholic church is intolerant.

one example. No Women Priests

"Maryknoll Fr. Roy Bourgeois has been threatened with excommunication by the Vatican's Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith for his support of women’s ordination, according to a letter made public today"

2. Molester priests.

Many more issues Gay priests, No choice. above all they try to influence secular society.

No the catholic church drives its membership away.
    The catholic church makes it hard for the cathlolic church.

dan writes:

Chaput makes it hard for Catholics to be Catholics. It's hard to give at church every week knowing that part of it funds his rants.

JW writes:

""President Obama is a man of intelligence and some remarkable gifts. He has a great ability to inspire, as we saw from his very popular visit to Canada just this past week. But whatever his strengths, there's no way to reinvent his record on abortion and related issues with rosy marketing about unity, hope and change," the Catholic News Agency quoted Chaput as saying."

When are these people going to figure it out: Your religious beliefs are pretinent to your PERSONAL decisons. They have no place as a basis for SECULAR politics, or law.

And we are a SECULAR government in the USA. They ONLY concern our government has with religion is enforcing everyone's right to chose their own.

Catholics have every right to avoid having abortions. They just have no right to be telling others what choice to make.

They also support failed policies where Abortion is concerned, and that is yet another problem with ideology, it has NO flexibility to deal with reality.

LetsThink writes:

With out any restraint, human decadance will soon destroy America. The question is: do we, individually, care enough about our children and grandchildren to join the battle?

JW writes:

"The question is: do we, individually, care enough about our children and grandchildren to join the battle?"

If you were eager to save babies, you might have taken the time to figure out HOW to actually do it.

Unfortunately, what you are eager for is a fight. VERY Christian of you. Not very Christ like though.

gr8fuldude writes:

"I commend the Catholic leaders who have been willing to stand up against evil in our world."

You HAVE to be kidding me??!!
    The same catholic church that forgives priests who molest kids, and shifts them to new churches rather than fire them???

And THEN claims that victims need to forgive their attackers???

In that case, let me then tell every catholic to go to the hell of their faith's creation. And that they will meet every pope when they get there.

gr8fuldude writes:

LetsThink - If catholic officials want to eliminate evil from this world, I would suggest self-immolation as an excellent means to do so.

Kevin J Jones writes:

I thought the Archbishop's words about hope were more newsworthy:

"For Christians," he explained, "hope is a virtue, not an emotional crutch or a political slogan. Virtus, the Latin root of virtue, means strength or courage. Real hope is unsentimental. It has nothing to do with the cheesy optimism of election campaigns. Hope assumes and demands a spine in believers. And that’s why – at least for a Christian -- hope sustains us when the real answer to the problems or hard choices in life is ‘no, we can’t,’ instead of ‘yes, we can.'"

gr8fuldude writes:

Kevin - Here's hoping that you have a son who happens to meet just the right priset in CCD someday soon.

Speak and See the Truth writes:

The blind-love affair with the biracial President is harmful to all Americans. Socialism, even in measured steps will destabilize our country and lower the bar for everyone to satisfy Obama's far left agenda.

This type of policy has failed repeatedly in our public schools and myriad government entitlement programs, why would anyone believe it will work on a national scale?

JW writes:

Wow Gr8. I guess this is the one subject that gets you rialed up. Welcome to the club.

KJ,

"Obama is an illiberal monster on abortion. He couldn't even bring himself to institute laws protecting poor down syndrome babies who survive an abortion at 22 weeks and are left to die in a soiled utility closet."

There were already laws on the books. You people like to take things out of context and spin them when it suits, but it only works on the ignorant.

"People who bring up some bishops' cowardice, incompetence and dereliction of duty in bringing pedophiles to justice would be more credible if they weren't trying to distract from their own complicity in defending that inexcusable killing procedure we call abortion."

And you would have more credibility if you were trying to save babies, rather than pimping an ideology regardless of its lack of efficacy.

mmmark217 writes:

As a practicing Catholic I feel I have license to criticize the ArchBishop on occasion. I'm not going to criticize him today, but It always makes me laugh when I see his name. ArchBishop Chaput's, (pronounced "Sha Pew" phonetically for those who don't know, name always makes me think of the word KAPUT. I get a chuckle about his name everytime, whether I agree with his position or not. :-)

gr8fuldude writes:

JW - When I was 19, my first real gf was a catholic who was really torn by the desire to be a good catholic and at the same time to be true to herself. Watching her wrestle with the conflict gave me a VERY lasting distaste for the RC church and all it entails. As I said earlier, Martin Luther got it right at wittenburg. Real faith is of the heart, not of giving, indulgences or paying to get a loved one out of purgatory.

On a totally seperate note, I just got back from lunch and saw the news about the RMN. Wow, I am still digesting, and will be for some time. I will miss the paper, and I grieve with and for the staffers. I will miss our virtual coffee-clatch every day. I will miss the earnest exchange of ideas, and the group that has evolved into friends here each day. I'll miss what I've seen and learned. Even from you Neocons...:)

Wow.

Hogar De Vuelta (العودة) Morality Matters writes:

Gr8,

I think Shaggy had the right idea, we should just all move over to the Post blog.

With regard to RC church, they like everyone else deserve their rights to opinions. I challenge them to be true to their stated convictions and excommunicate those who support abortion. But alas, I think they are more in love with the money they get from their heretics than they are with their own churchology.

gr8fuldude writes:

Hogar - I agree, I think we all will eventually migrate, I just don't do change very well. I am usually the last guy to leave when a team or company shuts down. I tend to want to linger in the room a little while alone. Feels like the finales of MASH or LA Law...

FYI All, the DP works on a name registration basis. Get yours now!

Jeff writes:

Martin Luther had it right if your standard is being disobedient and elevating yourself above lawful authority you freely subjected yourself to and rescinding on promises freely made to God.

If one is a pro-abortion Catholic, the more technically correct term is "right-to-murder heretic". Pro-abortion Catholics do not believe what the Church teaches. They should be intellectually honest and grown up enough to stop calling themselves Catholic.

There is no conflict between being true to one's self and being a good Catholic. There is a definite conflict between being a good Catholic and warding off what the world (or your sex-crazed boyfriend) is pressuring you to do. If being true to one's self using the standard of the world means subjecting to evil and debasing myself to be fornicator, we'll I guess I won't be true to myself.

Mr. Obama is demonstrably pro-abortion and pro-infanticide. Do your own due diligence and you will learn the truth. Elections have consequences. May God have mercy on us all.

Facts writes:

Isn't the Catholic Church the one that has the child molesters and the holocaust deniers? Keep throwing those stones glass house dude. What a bunch of worthless leaders the Catholic Church has, they hand out judgment and blame which is completely contrary to the teachings of Jesus.

Jeff writes:

To facts,

The Catholic Church is full of sinners of all kinds. The leaders are sinners. Always have been. There have been bad Bishops right back to the beginning -- right back to Judas. Tell me something that hasn't been known for 2000 years.

I fail to see your "logic" that those who fail to live up to Catholic teachings "proves" that Catholicism is contrary to the teachings of Jesus. Care to explain yourself?

Iceman7 writes:

Shaggy,

Good post! See ya over at the Denver Post blogs.

Tells me that 54% of Catholics are not devoted Catholics.

You are absolutely right! We call them cafeteria catholics. Perfect examples are the Kennedys, Joe know nothing Biden, Pelosi, and a host of others. Oh yea they are Democrats too.

I see that the Obama worshipers are out in force now. What a bunch of know nothing losers. They should start their own little BHO congregation.

Ice

60s4ever writes:

Chaput just focuses on legislation to fight abortion rather than legislation to address the root causes of abortion like supporting pregnant women and children. I don't see him doing anything about that and it would be far more effective in reducing abortion.

And pro-life does not just mean anti-abortion. It means anti-death. And I'm not just talking about war and capital punishment. It means providing adequate health care to everyone so that no one dies prematurely. It means addressing the growing infant mortality rate. It means ending malnutrition and starvation. It means finding cures for diseases. All of this is within our scope to do.

So Archbishop Chaput, If you're going to talk the talk, you need to walk the walk.

Robert I. Laitres writes:

The good Archbishop should also remember that his only authority is within the Catholic Church, and he was elected by nobody. Now, if he wants to speak as a citizen, we will accept his words. But, as an Archbishop of the Catholic Church, and although brought up as a Catholic myself, I would suggest that the gentleman keep his nose out of domestinc politics.

• February 27, 2009

John Wren writes:

The Church is radically open and honest, if others want to listen in to the conversation they are welcome to do so. But if those listening in expect to have any impact on my thinking, they need to know more than just how inconvinent the Church was when they were trying to get their way with their girl friend, or what the headlines in the paper say about the mistakes and misstatements of a few poor, misguided priests or political leaders.

I regained my Christian faith and eventually became a Catholic when it was brought to my attention that Jesus Christ was either who he said he was, or he was a mad man. Those who don't share the faith I eventually found can't understand it, I know from personal experience, any more than someone who doesn't appreciate good music can give meaningful criticism of a symphony concert.

• February 27, 2009

Jeff writes:

Robert,

Why do people consistently make the error that murder of the innocent is a matter of domestic politics and therefore can not be addressed by religious people? Are the religious also citizens? Can all citizens speak out against the intrinsically evil decisions of the POTUS, or did I miss the memo regarding the suspension of the Constitution?

Murder of the innocent in universally wrong. If the secular religion of the state teaches otherwise, then it has abused its God-given authority and *must* be opposed by all people of good will be they Christian or non-Christian. Catholics have a particular duty to oppose the moral errors propounded by the state. If you don't believe me, then ask your confessor.

Right is right even if no one is doing it, and wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it. Contrary to what the secular religion of the state teaches, there are moral absolutes -- one of them being that murder of innocent children, born or unborn, is universally wrong.

• February 27, 2009

Hector writes:

I think it's great that President Hussein is a pro-abortion fanatic. It means fewer black babies.

• February 27, 2009

Matt writes:

Obama love is going to make it hard on everybody:

"The United States of America has tendered to China a written agreement which grants to the People's Republic of China, an option to exercise Eminent Domain within the USA, as collateral for China's continued purchase of US Treasury Notes and existing US Currency reserves!
    On February 11, Bloomberg Business News reported that China was seeking "guarantees" for its US Government debt (Story Here), and it now appears they got it. Well placed senior sources at the US Embassy in Beijing CONFIRM the formal written agreement was delivered by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton during her recent trip to China.
    This means that in the event the US Government defaults on its financial obligations to China, the Communist Government of China would be permitted to physically take — inside the USA — land, buildings, factories, perhaps even entire cities — to satisfy the financial obligations of the US government.
    Put simply, the feds have actually mortgaged the physical land and property of all citizens and businesses in the United States. They have given to a foreign power, their Constitutional power to "take" all of our property, as actual collateral for continued Chinese funding of US deficit spending and the continued carrying of US national debt."